Please Help ... Topsy Turvy Falling Apart While Assembling

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:58am by itscake

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 13

Started to put topsy turvy together (made of WASC). 2 teirs, 3 layers each. carved, torted, crumbcoated. When I started to put fondant (Michele Foster's) on top they started to slide around, and kind of melt on the sides. icon_cry.gif The teirs aren't stacked yet, so I placed them in the fridge to chill. Didn't know what else to do. Hoping I could get some advice from my friends before continuing. icon_smile.gif Cake is due Weds. If all else fails I'll make a sheet cake. It's a donation for a fund raiser (Wizard of Oz theme). I had it all set in my mind, but things happen. icon_rolleyes.gif Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Sheila

12 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 13

Is the filling to soft and not holding it together?

sheilabelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 13

I don't think so. It's Sugarshacks recipe and I've been using this batch for other cakes with no problems. The other cakes weren't stacked though. I was wondering if I didn't let the cakes set long enough before placing fondant on them. Do you need to let them set and get a good crust on the BC? I also had problems with the fondant pleating at the bottom of the tiers. I just don't think this cake was meant to be.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 13

I would put the cake on the fridge and let it set well before putting the fondant on them. Make sure you have a strong cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 13

Ive just done a bottom layer of my 1st topsy. I crumbcoated & filled yesterday, and it's been in fridge since then, and it seems pretty stable. I'm gonna ice today, Ive got 2nd layer ready to start & going to do same thing with it, and decorate tommorrow! I made chocolate & yellow cake & added a pound cake mix into each one to give it more stability I am hoping!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 13

We always put the cake in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm it up well before quickly applying the buttercream and then the fondant. It keeps it firm while smoothing the fondant.

Be sure you don't have too much buttercream on it.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 13

Is it very warm or humid where you are? It sounds like everything is too soft.

Take the fondant off and put everything in the fridge for as long as you can. I like to cover my cakes cold.

sheilabelle Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 13

I'm in Michigan. Not very warm (65 degrees) and not humid. Going to chalk it up to a learning experience and try to salvage what I have. If it's not too embarrassing I'll post a pict when it is finished. Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:43am
post #9 of 13

I personally find the WASC too soft for a topsy cake; it can't hold up to weight. But I do know others use.

Good luck!

sheilabelle Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 13

sugarshack - What cake recipe do you use for stacked cakes (if you don't mind sharing)? Thanks for your buttercream recipe. I love it!

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 13

I freeze my cakes..and also make sure that my icing is cold...place dowel in the cake for supports..put back in fridge to set up icing (Royal icing sets up best for the outside)before putting fondant on.(for at least an hour until a crust forms) I have made many stacked cakes and have never had one slide...
If you are using butter cream icing...replace the butter with shorting...it seems to be more stable....Chilling after each step is important...
Good luck with your cake!!

sheilabelle Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and help. It was greatly appreciated. Here is the final result. I'm not too embarassed to show this. I'm actually quite pleased with the results! Again THANKS! Here is a link the the pict.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1373032&done=1

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #13 of 13

Wow..you did a fantastic job!!!! it should be a smash hit at your fund raiser!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%