Descriptions Of Cakes

Decorating By mcdonald Updated 22 May 2009 , 2:00am by indydebi

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 26

THis might be just me but does it bother anyone else when someone uploads a picture of a cake they did and didn't leave any comments as to what flavor, what they used to cover, what was the event or meaning of cake, etc....

I try to take time to comment on peoples cakes but I kinda have the uglies today and am thinking... we'll if they didn't want to take the time to describe the cake, then I don't think I want to take time to leave a comment.

Now, I know this is ugly and I promise I don't mean to be short sided... it has just been bothering me for a while. I will gladly continue to comment on pictures... I just wish people would take time to give me a little to comment on, besides the picture....

Don't mean to stir anything up!!! Please forgive me!!! .... I feel better now!

25 replies
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 26

Actually, what disappoints me more than no description is when there are no keywords, because then it becomes almost impossible to search for the photo at a later date.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 26

I'm one of those people who don't describe the cake. I do put it in a catagory though. I guess I just never thought of doing the flavoring or anything. Probably cause I don't see many others that have done it. My bad! icon_rolleyes.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 26

Well, I feel the same way sometimes too...but then I think....maybe they didn't have enough time to add comments, they could be just in a rush. But sometimes I'd like to know about the little extras too.

So glad your feeling better too icon_smile.gif

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 26

I agree with both comments, I love reading the stories and the meaning behind the cake and the sizes and flavors.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Well, I feel the same way sometimes too...but then I think....maybe they didn't have enough time to add comments, they could be just in a rush. But sometimes I'd like to know about the little extras too.

So glad your feeling better too icon_smile.gif

It takes 5 seconds to post a description.. so I dunno if it's about time.

The only time it bothers me when people don't add a description is when they complain that no one comments them. Hmm..............

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 26

Yeah alexandrabill, I guess your right...it does only take a couple of secs I was really just looking for the brighter side.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 26

I too really appreciate it when someone shares their cake story. It makes a good thing even better.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 26

I don't put flavors either, never thought it was a big deal, thought people only wanted to see what the cake looked like, My Bad and I never understand the keyword thing but I do describe my cake. will be more detailed from now on. you make a lot of sense as to what you said so I hope no one takes it the wrong way. Because you are letting people know what we expect.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 26

Maybe they don't add a description because they're only posting the pictures for the looks.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Maybe they don't add a description because they're only posting the pictures for the looks.

I agree...and even though YOU think it may take five seconds to add a description it doesn't always work that way. I uploaded a pic (when i first joined CC and after taking more than 5 minutes to add the description when i went to submit, it deleted everything i had typed. And honestly i had tried to add the description several times after that and it was still the same thing. So i gave up. I don't think that people are trying to NOT share their tips, I think that they may not have the time or maybe after several tries with submitting the info and getting it deleted they gave up. As someone else said in another thread like this one, if I can't find the info I need such as pan size, I try to figure it out myself. No one is really obligated to give you instructions on how they did the cake. The best thing to do is send them a pm and ask if they'd give you more info. I'm not trying to be mean but thats just how it is sometimes.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 26

I never write the flavors of my cakes. I usually do wedding cakes and I dont even remember the flavors in them. Specially on a week where I have over 10 weddings.
I just plain don't remember.

For me, if someone wants to know more details about a cake, they can PM, and I will gladly tell them. I write the basics...and I dont always have a story behind them either..
Edna icon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #13 of 26

I was just stating that I get annoyed when people complain they don't get comments when they also don't have a description.

I don't really care if there is a description.. because like many of you... i am usually just looking for ideas.. not to read a novel. I do enjoy reading them at times though.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

Actually, what disappoints me more than no description is when there are no keywords, because then it becomes almost impossible to search for the photo at a later date.

ditto!

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald

THis might be just me but does it bother anyone else when someone uploads a picture of a cake they did and didn't leave any comments as to what flavor, what they used to cover, what was the event or meaning of cake, etc....

I try to take time to comment on peoples cakes but I kinda have the uglies today and am thinking... we'll if they didn't want to take the time to describe the cake, then I don't think I want to take time to leave a comment.

Now, I know this is ugly and I promise I don't mean to be short sided... it has just been bothering me for a while. I will gladly continue to comment on pictures... I just wish people would take time to give me a little to comment on, besides the picture....

Don't mean to stir anything up!!! Please forgive me!!! .... I feel better now!

I didn't realize people actually wanted flavors and stuff. I like to read about the stories and mediums too - and the flavors are interesting, I just didn't know people were interested in knowing about them. If I post anymore pics, I'll gladly add that to my descriptions.
Since we're kinda talking about commenting on pics - should I thank the people who comment on mine individually or just in a general comment on my pic as well? I don't want to offend anyone by having them think I'm ignoring them. Thanks

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #16 of 26

I'm just a novice, so I don't feel like I have anything helpful, but I always try to put a description of some kind. I have gone back and added keywords because I find those very helpful when I am trying to search for a cake.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #17 of 26

I always put in at least a brief discription of the cake, but I didn't know you couldn't find a cake in a search if we don't put anything in key words. What should be in there? Color, size, what event the cake is for? I was just unsure what to put there.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #18 of 26

In the keywords I would put in things like color, theme (star wars, tropical, baseball, whatever), any special technique used (cornelli, scrollwork, etc), or even things like bows, dots, 3D figure. Pretty much anything that describes your cake that you can think of!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #19 of 26

What flavor should they put in if they are using dummies LOL.....sorry could not help myself.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

What flavor should they put in if they are using dummies LOL.....sorry could not help myself.

The flavor is "styrofoam" icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #21 of 26

Yeh i like when people put in a description. I always put in a description except i put in everything i can think of and they often end up huge lol I just sometimes have too much to say or am too excited about a cake lol icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

The flavor is "styrofoam" icon_wink.gif

LOL........good one thumbs_up.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #23 of 26

I am one that like to see a description also, I like to know if it is strofoam also, because I realize alot of fake cakes are not always possible to make with cake. Good to know at times or at least alot easier to do with strofoam. I don't always want to know flavors but like to know what kind of frosting, sometimes it is hard to tell. Some cakes have alot of details with specialty tools used and it would be nice to know. I know we can pm them but it would save alot of time for the poster so that they don't get 10 requests for the same thing I would think. Just my opinion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #24 of 26

Since I often have had problems trying to figure out how to duplicate the look of some posted cakes I have always tried to include as much informaiton as possible on any I post.
Since most of the pix I post are old (usually 5-20 yrs) I have forgotten much of the info like flavor and sometimes sizes icon_sad.gif
As for what words to put on the keywords line.......think of any and every one you would use if searching for such a design/cake icon_smile.gif Include different ways of saying the same thing like: lady, women; feminine; floral, flowers, roses; stacked; tiered; - stuff like that.

Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #25 of 26

Its good to know the opinions. I know with me, I just reciently uploaded a bunch of pictures, I have been a member for a little while but have never uploaded anything, so I thought it was time to do so. In doing this I concentrated on mainly adding pictures not so much on keywords or descriptions. I do plan on going back and doing this to each picture. The thing that does bother me however is when you get comments "cute cake" repeatedly from the same person on the cakes that really is not the best work done. It just feels like they are trying to post a bunch of comments to meet a goal, not taking into consideration the cake. (I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just when I do get a comment I really appreciate it, even if it is just cute cake...but when it's "cute cake" for 15 of my pictures...just doesn't seem like it is genuine....like I said I don't want to offend anyone) Sorry for venting...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Include different ways of saying the same thing like: lady, women; feminine; floral, flowers, roses; stacked; tiered; - stuff like that.

And spellings. For example "M&M" (no space) / M & M (with space) / M&M's (no space with apostrophe; plural), M&Ms; M & M's. "Coke" and "Coca Cola".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%