First Graduation Cake Help

Decorating By cakesnkisses Updated 18 May 2009 , 11:31pm by tiggy2

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a grad cake for my friend's son. This is my very first cake ever. Please hlep me!!!
If I make a 10' and a 8 ' can i stack them on top of each other without it collapsing?????? Also, how can I get the exact school colors for the fondant to decorate???? SHould I buy a cake leveler to make cakes very even?????? And how can I make a grad cap and tassles out of fondant???

Sorry for so many questions......I'm just starting out and could really use some help!!!!!!! I am very excited to start!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

You will need to have the top cake (8")on a board and supports under it. Regarding the cap, you can form the bottom of the cap over a bowl, let it dry for a few days. Make the top with a piece of thin cardboard covered in fondant. You may want to use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Let it dry then just put them together. Now the colors could be difficult depending on the colors. It takes alot of coloring for some colors, you just have to knead it alot till it is all mixed in. If you add to much color it changes the fondant and can make it to soft. I will then add just a touch of powdered sugar as I go. Hopefully you'll get others suggestions here that are more experienced.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

you could push the fondant through a clean garlic press or ricer to get the strings for the tassle

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 6

If you do a search there is a tutorial on here on how to make a tassle. If you plan on anyone eating the fondant PLEASE don't use Wilton. It's the worst tasting stuff in the world. There are instructions in the article section of this site on how to stack a cake with supports and you most certainly need support between the two tiers or it will collapse. You don't neccessarily have to have a cake leveler but the layers do have to be level. Some people use a knife but I'm not that accurate so I use a leveler. If you bake at 325 and use bake even strips you wont have much leveling to do.

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for all your help so far.
Where can i buy bake strips??? Michael's??? Jo Ann's??? I nver heard of them before.
Do you think it would be easier for me just to start off w/ a 2 layer 13x9 rather than stacking???

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

Yes Michaels has bake even strips. I never bake without them. If you've never stacked a cake before you might want to do a paractice run. It would be easier to do a 13 x 9 but that doesn't mean it's impossible to do a stacked cake if you do a practice one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%