How Do I Make "coral" For A Beach Theme Cake?

Decorating By rhopar33 Updated 18 May 2009 , 10:07pm by rhopar33

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 9

I have a beach theme wedding cake for this weekend and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make "coral". I know how to make the seashells out of chocolates but do i make the coral with chocolate or royal icing? Also, does anybody have a template for the coral or do you do it freehand? I could really use some help with this.

Thanks in advance!!!
Rhonda

8 replies
momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Rhonda, I usually do the coral freehand with chocolate. It sets up so much faster! If you're hesitant about free handing, do a google search and print out a couple of pics that you like. Lay your wax paper over the pictures and trace with melted chocolate. Go back over it after the first layer has set to add some extra dimension.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 9

Here is a template you can use for candy melts or royal icing.
LL

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 9

You know what was the coolest....I was watching it on you tube I think. What she did was melt candy disks, she had two buckets of ice. She poured the white candy over the first bucket of ice (we'll call them bucket 1 and bucket 2) and then scooped ice from bucket 2 and put it over top. She let it set for just a few minutes (while she waited she put melted candy in bucket 2) and as she was putting the ice back in bucket 2, she uncover the "coral" from bucket 1. Sounds a little hard and confusing, but it's not. I guess it depends on if you want 3D. But, they looked awesome!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 9
noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know if it will show the link http://www.cliksecrets.com/weeklyvideos/ys050709.html but here is a video that show you how to make candy coral out of candy melts.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 9

Great video but it doesn't really show what the coral is made from..I can see she dipped it into white candy melts but nothing else.I like the seahorses etc but again she shows the almost finished product and not what she used to achieve it but I guess that is why they want you to buy the DVD....Anyone care to chime in on what she used to make coral??

Okay..I just the the other video and it shows you how to make the coral with crushed ice...really neat!! I may have to try this!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

I do them in Royal Icing.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 18 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 9

Wow, thanks so mucjh for all the feedback and the template. One last question- does the melted chocalate spread or "run", or, does it form the lines nicely?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%