Foam Boards

Decorating By radtech Updated 18 May 2009 , 5:55pm by Melvira

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 18 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 11

I have read alot about using foam boards when stacking cakes, Iwas wondering do they need to be covered or are they food safe?

10 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 11

I have only used foam board once and I didn't cover it or anything. It was just for my family, so it didn't really matter. I'm curious to hear what other people say as well!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 11

I always cover it because the foam board that I use doesn't come sealed up in a package and there's no telling who's already touched it or where it's been. So I cover it either with foil or plastic wrap, or if I'm using it for the bottom board I cover it with fondant, then set my other foam circle (the one with foil) with the cake on top.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 11

I buy them from logicpic.com and there is no need to cover them, they are meant for cake. They are very sturdy, and you don't have to worry about cutting them like if you buy a sheet of it. I do have a few sheets that I got on clearance (couldn't turn down the price) and when I use them I put plastic wrap on them because, as was mentioned, who knows what's touched them! Bleugh!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 11

Melvira - that website is awesome! I had no idea that you could buy the foam board pre-cut in pretty much whatever shape you want! I'm on their website and it's really cool! Thanks for sharing!

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 11

sorry this may seem like a dumb question, but can you use foam board as the base??

Melvira Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Melvira - that website is awesome! I had no idea that you could buy the foam board pre-cut in pretty much whatever shape you want! I'm on their website and it's really cool! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure! I always like to share when I find a good supplier with products at a reasonable price!

tiawanna, yes, you can use them as your base. That's what I usually do with the large sheets I bought on clearance. I cut them larger than the cake and wrap them in (of all things) plastic disposable tablecloth, taped underneath neatly, then put ribbon around the edge. It looks really nice, and it's cheap, cheap, cheap, which is the name of the game as far as I'm concerned!! I LOVE the look of a fondant wrapped board, but for most cakes I can't recoup the cost. This looks pretty and is much more cost effective for me and my customers.

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 11

thanks Melvira!!!

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the information. icon_biggrin.gif

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 11

Melvira - I love the idea of wrapping them in the plastic disposbale tablecloth!! They have every color of the rainbow at the dollar store. Thanks

Melvira Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 11

No problem! I love using the tablecloths because, as you mentioned, you can get almost any imaginable color SUPER cheap, and one tablecloth will cover tons of boards! Plus, you don't have to worry about grease marks because they are plastic, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%