Airbrushing In Rainbow...overspray..how Do You Control?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 17 May 2009 , 2:36pm by nickymom

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

I want to airbrush this tropical cookie but everytime I have airbrushed in Rainbow the darker colors overspray turn the lighter colors a murky brown or something aweful.For those of you who airbrush alot...how do you control this?Do you spray the darker colors first,last?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif
LL

5 replies
jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

I would try to adjust the air pressure. I don't airbrush a lot but have found the lighter pressure is good for less overspray issues. My brush adjusts with finger pressure as well, just barely tap on it not full force. HTH

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 6

If you spray the colors in the order they are in the rainbow, the over spray won't make any difference. If I am airbrushing a rainbow, I first spray pink and make it go wider than I want the final pink to be. Next you spray yellow and where it oversprays the pink it will make orange. You then spray blue and where it over sprays the yellow it will be green. Last you spray just a little pink over the edge of the blue and it makes lavender. So you have..
Spray Pink...spray yellow...and you will have an overlap of orange.(between the pink and yellow).
Spray BLUE ...and you will have an overlap (between the yellow and blue) of GREEN
Spray PINK again on the very end and you will have LAVENDER. (where you spray the pink over the edge of the blue.)
The only time you will get brown is if you let lavender over spray yellow. (or if you have both pink and blue over spraying the yellow.)

HTH

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 6

that makes sense

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah..I never thought of that but it does makes sense!!!

Thanks so much BCJean!!!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

If you spray the colors in the order they are in the rainbow, the over spray won't make any difference. If I am airbrushing a rainbow, I first spray pink and make it go wider than I want the final pink to be. Next you spray yellow and where it oversprays the pink it will make orange. You then spray blue and where it over sprays the yellow it will be green. Last you spray just a little pink over the edge of the blue and it makes lavender. So you have..
Spray Pink...spray yellow...and you will have an overlap of orange.(between the pink and yellow).
Spray BLUE ...and you will have an overlap (between the yellow and blue) of GREEN
Spray PINK again on the very end and you will have LAVENDER. (where you spray the pink over the edge of the blue.)
The only time you will get brown is if you let lavender over spray yellow. (or if you have both pink and blue over spraying the yellow.)

HTH

I just got my air brush in a few days ago...it was a Mother's Day present, so I'm trying to find and read up on all airbrush topics and this is definatly going into my mental file cabinet! VERY helpful and makes COMPLETE sense!! I'm excited! Now I can make a pretty rainbow! LOL errr or atleast grasp the CONCEPT anyway...I need practice, practice practice!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%