Looking For A Great Caramel Buttercream

Decorating By daisyjenn Updated 17 May 2009 , 5:41am by Evoir

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 10

My kids have been bugging me for a banana cake so I finally made one today. So yummy!! I made a caramel buttercream recipe that I found online. It just had you add caramel ice cream topping to your buttercream. Well it is way too soft and it wont hold any shape. It keeps sliding off the sides of the cake. If anyone has a really good recipe would you mind sharing it? Thank you!! usaribbon.gif

9 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have a recipe, but i do have an idea...Last week i started a thread about dulce de leche and someone mentioned they have added it to buttercream to lighten it up. Perhaps you can try adding just a bit of it to your buttercream to see if it works for what you are using it for. It is crazy good and tastes sorta like caramal to me. You use a can of sweetened condensed milk to make it. I can also buy it at my grocery store in a jar too. Here is my thread, it explains the process of making it. Good luck. It does sound like banana cake and dulce would be insanly delicious. If it's too soft maybe adding powdered sugar would thicken it up to your liking. HTH http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=628393&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 10

the caramel meringue buttercream (basically replacing dark brown sugar for the granulated sugar called for in the swiss meringue buttercream recipe.

orrrrr

add either the caramel topping or caramels melted with some whipping cream(then cooled) to bettercreme

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 10

there is one under recipes on this site. it is by frankola. haven,t tried it yet. but have tried her other recipes.. and haven,t been dissappointed yet.. hth

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 10

The vanilla caramel coffee creamer is very good. I just dissolve it in water and add it instead of milk.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 10

This is a total cheater way, but it works for me and everyone who's had my caramel BC loves it!!

Ummm...I just add caramel food flavoring that I buy from my bakery supply store and tint it a yellowy brownish color using food coloring!

But if there's a real recipe developed by a real chef, I'll totally try it instead!!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 10

Mmmmm - banana cake with caramel frosting sounds so goooooood!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 10

I substitute toffee almond delight non-dairy creamer for the liquid called for in my regular buttercream recipe. And I add Frontier brand butterscotch flavoring. Somehow the combination produces an outstanding caramel flavor.

daisyjenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyjenn Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone for your great ideas. I just happened to have some vanilla caramel coffee creamer so I added that to my buttercream. It wasn't too bad but it made my frosting a little grainy. I will try some of the other ideas later.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 17 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #10 of 10

To keep the standard buttercream texture I'd definitely add in some caramel flavouring oil and a few drops of brown and yeallo food colouring.

Taste wise - it would be dulce de leche all the way for this little black duck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%