Raspberry Preserve Filling Question

Decorating By srodts Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:11pm by ddaigle

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 14

I know I have seen it written here before about using preserve as a filling but I cant find it any place so I will ask you and maybe you remember seeing it.
Can I use raspberry preserve as a filling and if so do I have to add something to it so it doesn't taste like I put jelly in my cake (ie buttercream, whipped cream)? And what about it sitting out all day? the jar says refrigerate after opening so should it not sit out all day at a graduation?
If there is anything else that I need to know about using this please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

13 replies
imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 14

I havent done it yet, but I read to mix it with buttercream. I THINK I recall seeing a recipe where they didnt mix it with anything, but I could be wrong. I cant seem to find that recipe anywhere.

srodts Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you so much for your help.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 14

You can use the raspberry straight from the jelly jar if you want (use the no sugar added ones). I have also used the canned raspberry fillings. I think they are made by Solo or something like that. They are in the baking isle. I like them better since they don't taste like jam.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 16 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 14

msulli10
Thank you for your responce but why the no sugar added ones?

topaz176
thank you for the link that helps a lot.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 14

I prefer the no sugar ones because they are too sweet. I use Smuckers natural fruit if I use jar stuff. I actually prefer the sleeve fillings which I buy on line.

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 14

I use jar fillings all the time. That is what is most requested believe it or not. Never had anything bad happen but I guess as long as its not in heat it will be fine. You can also mix it with non dairy whipped topping. We use that all the time.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 14

I have used Dickinson's seedless raspberry preserves by itself and mixed with equal parts buttercream as filling. Both ways are delicious (does not taste like jam) and can stay at room temp.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 14

The Polaner Allfruit stuff is really good....nobody realizes its "just jam" although I do call it "preserves".

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #11 of 14

I've done it plain and mixed with buttercream. I didn't have any problem with it sitting on the counter for 24 hours.

srodts Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you all so very much for all your information. You are all great.
Thanks again
Shannon

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 14

There is another thread on here somewhere -- sorry, I don't remember who the OP is to give credit -- where you mix a jar of jam or preserves with a package of dry jello. Heat the jam until it is fairly warm (I do mine in the microwave) and stir in the dry jello until it has dissolved. It bumps up the flavor and, IMHO, greatly increases the consistency of the jam. It does not have to be refrigerated for at least a couple of days. You can mix and match the jam/jello flavors to come up with some really good combinations.

After hearing so many good things about the sleeve fillings, I ordered some for my last wedding. The apricot (filling for the Hook 'em Horns burnt orange tiers) was excellent. The raspberry was a little sweet for my taste, but all of the white chocolate raspberry cake was gone so the guests enjoyed it. I will be using the raspberry again this weekend for an outside wedding. I'm worried enough about my buttercream (using indydebi's recipe). I certainly don't want to have to worry about the filling! icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #14 of 14

I have made the jelly/jello combo many times. It makes a great filling. Just match the (seedless) jelly up with the jello.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%