Is Silvia Weinstocks white cake recipe here on cc? Or, do I need to buy one of her books to get it? Maybe I just don't have the correct title to look it up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
It comes out white for me--but it's called SW yellow cake and you can google it.
I have the book with all her basic recipes. Here is what she calls "Lady Baltimore White Cake.
3/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted cake flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
6 large egg whites
1. Place butter and sugar in mixer and beat till light and fluffy.
2. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
3. Combine 1/2 cater, the milk and vanilla. Add to the sugar and butter mixture alternately with the flour mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
4. In another mixing bowl, using a clean whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high until soft peaks form.
5. Fold the whipped eggs into the batter until mixture is incorporated.
6. Pour batter into pans and 30 - 40 minutes for an 8 inch pan and 40-50 for a 12 inch.
Hope this helps.