How Do I Make This Looped Cross?

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 18 May 2009 , 7:15pm by umgrzfn

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I tried to find the person's name who made the cake below, so I could pm her, but I am unable to find her name.

Can anyone give me any tips or hints on how to make the looped (blue) cross in the photo? Is it made in advance and then placed on the cake? How do all the loops get secured together?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
LL

8 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 9

Just taking an educated guess here but I would assume it's made in advance and then put on the cake. I would use a mixture of gum paste and fondant. Roll out, cut into strips..loop into long loops and let dry. Then when placing them on the cake use some decorating gel or gum paste glue and put it on the sides where the loops touch each other to secure them together. Then do the same for where they come together in the middle. Then lay the other cross on top to hide where all the loops meet in the middle. Could be wrong, but thought I would take a stab at it! icon_smile.gif HTH!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

That would be my guess exactly. you could also use some melted candy melts to attach the loops together. That is really really pretty!!

Please post pics when you get it done!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

Hollysuann is right, and I believe the technique is called quilling.

Michele25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for your replies!!! I figured it was basically as described. I probably should've been more specific, because I was looking for tips more like how to put the cross together (in advance or right on the cake), width of strips, etc. My fault for not saying so.

Anyway, I made the cake yesterday and was very happy with how it came out. For anyone who happens to need this info in the future, this is what I ended up doing: I cut the strips 1"wide and created the cross in sections by forming the various loops. I let the sections dry overnight (I used a mix of gumpaste and fondant) and then assembled the cross, in pieces, right on top of the frosted cake. The top (pink cross in my photos) went on last and covered up the sectioned pieces. Here are some photos:

The first shows the cross in sections, the second shows how I arranged it on the cake, and the third is the finished cake.

Thanks again!
Michele
LL
LL
LL

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 9

WOW!! beautiful job!!! Thank you for measurements and mini tutorial!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 9

Cool! I just posted a comment to your cake (BEAUTIFUL!) and it's wonderful of you to give us a mini-tutorial on how to make it!

Michele25 Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 9

You're welcome, it was my pleasure. I, personally, am such a visual learner and I always find it easier to see how something is done rather than just read about it, so I thought it might be helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

You're welcome, it was my pleasure. I, personally, am such a visual learner and I always find it easier to see how something is done rather than just read about it, so I thought it might be helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

Me too. Thank you for the mini tutorial. BTW, your cake turned out amazing...you did a fabulous job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%