Insurance Question...do I Need More?

Business By cakedesigner59 Updated 16 May 2009 , 2:07pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 5

I got a quote for general liability insurance (and I think it was a really good price). But I'm concerned that it only has $5,000 for medical payments in the coverage. What if someone chokes on a nut or something? Couldn't the medical bills be much larger than that? It has $1,000,000 per occurance and $2,000,000 aggregate. Do you think I need more? What do you all carry? I'm a sole proprietorship, if that means anything.

4 replies
Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #2 of 5

I wish I could help. I am in the process of getting my insurance now. Did you ask your agent why so low on the medical. Maybe he can explain it better. Maybe there is a reason why he thinks you don't need the higher medical. Good luck and I hope someone else can chime in with a better answer.

cakedesigner59 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks....1 million sounds great until you realize it seemingly only covers punitive damages, not actual medicals... I will call them on Monday and ask why so low on the medical. I know anything more is gonna cost bigger bucks, of course.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 5

Usually it's a package thing. Like on your homeowners, your outbuildings (garage, shed, barn) coverage is 10% or 50% of your home coverage (house insured for $100,000 ..... outbuildings insured for $10,000 or $50,000, whatever the percentage is).

Car insurance is the same way. If you check your personal auto policy, you'll probably have only $5000 in medical, depending on the liability limits (note .. medical covers those in your car when you're at fault). I've seen some that have only $1000 in medical.

Best advice has been given ... talk to your agent.

cakedesigner59 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, Debi. I'll do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%