Tasting Question

Decorating By maude Updated 17 May 2009 , 11:11pm by maude

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 6

I have received a request for a tasting. I have'nt done one yet. I don't know where to start. How many flavors to offer, what if anything to charge, etc. Any advice would be most appreciated. Also she lives in a neighboring town. About 45 minutes away, I work with her friend who lives in the same town, do you think it would be acceptable to send the samples as opposed to asking her to come this far?

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:04am
post #3 of 6

antonia: Wow! What an excellent write up on the tasting thread. That's one of the best "tip" threads I've read. Thanks for sharing your "successful taste testing" method. icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

I have received a request for a tasting. I have'nt done one yet. I don't know where to start. How many flavors to offer, what if anything to charge, etc. Any advice would be most appreciated. Also she lives in a neighboring town. About 45 minutes away, I work with her friend who lives in the same town, do you think it would be acceptable to send the samples as opposed to asking her to come this far?

I offer up to 3 flavours with their combo choice of fillings/icings. I make them in the mini tasty fill pans as I think these are perfect for giving a good idea of what the cake will be like. I charge $30 for tastings (later credited back to the wedding cake price if they choose me - and 100% have so far!). I did a wedding cake for a work friend of a friend who lived about an hour away from me, and I just sent those into work with my friend for her - it worked out fine. She had already chosen her design though, so we didn't need to discuss that like I normally do as part of the tasting.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 6

Sure you can send the samples. My thoughts on this subject are this. With one sample, they taste your icing and your cake. They can tell if your cake is moist, ect. I do ONE flavor for free. Any others, they get a single layer, 6" cake and I charge 5.00 per flavor.

Your time is worth something.... people can take advantage asking for several flavors.

Just my .02 -

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of the helpful advice girls. Antonia thanks for the linkds to the threads.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%