How Do You Control The Spray Over Form An Airbrush?

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 19 May 2009 , 11:38am by kmoores

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 10

I am looking into getting an airbrush. but since my kitchen (licensed) is also in my home and my DH is an eagle eye. I really need to make sure that I do not have any spray over on my counters, cabinets, floor, etc. Now I guess in a perfect world there would not be spray over but really...I will be a beginner...so I can not count on my accuraccy.

I looked at the pro series spray covers but they are like $500...so that is out...Homemade covers or ideas would be great!

Thanks for the help.

Julia

9 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 10

LOL Ive been using mine at work for 2 years and I still get the stuff everywhere. Its going to get everywhere. Not only that but if you dont wear a mask when you spray, then go blow your nose your tissue will be all sorts of colors. lol. Its just such a fine mist it just floats everywhere. Put the airbrush in a place that you can clean easily. Back in a corner somewhere facing a wall. You can tape parchment paper to the counter and walls so that you can just tear it down and toss it away when you are done. I wish I could do that at work sometimes.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 10

you can take a box.. turn it upside down.. cut out front side.. place cake inside and spray.. lots of people do this.. i airbrush.. but have never done this.. it can be a mess.. if i did it all the time.. i would prepare more ... on earlenescakes.com. she shows how she does it.. had a box especially made with a fan i think.. hth

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 10

That's a pretty good idea!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 10

I'm about to try for myself--I bought one of those tri-fold presentation boards to use as a backdrop, and newsprint to lay on the counter. ....and to practice on.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

I'm about to try for myself--I bought one of those tri-fold presentation boards to use as a backdrop, and newsprint to lay on the counter. ....and to practice on.

I did the same thing but it still gets everywhere. I think that something more is needed but what is the question. Maybe you we could have a refrigerator box or boxes make them like a room and then have something over the top and have your entry/exit the clear plastic material kinda heavy thickness (like the kind that you can get at walmart). I was thinking like somethig like how children make a tent. That way you are controlling the mist to the small area.

acookieobsession Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 10

I think the fan things is the way to go, but I am not sure I could build that.

Here is the link for earlene's idea...very lcever i think. plus it folds up...bonus!

http://www.earlenescakes.com/AirbrushCabInst.html

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 19 May 2009 , 9:48am
post #8 of 10

Have your hubby take three equal pieces of a thin board and make a "U" shape by attaching them together. (Mine used hinges)..Set that up and then get a piece of plexi glass and lie it over the top of the "U".

If he makes it "deep" enough you can spray and it will all stay inside that "U" area.

He did install a fan for me but I've never used it and have never needed it. The box is deep enough and no spray escapes.

acookieobsession Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #9 of 10

I hate fondant, that is a great idea too. I think I could probably even do that. My DH is good with the tools, but he does not have much free time. I have asked my dad, maybe he will do it for me, as he has lots of free time.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 19 May 2009 , 11:38am
post #10 of 10

I love Earlene's cabinet! Gonna have to get the hubby to build me one of those!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%