What Do You Use To Cover Cake Boards?????

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 17 May 2009 , 3:00am by joy5678

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 27

I just want to get some new ideas for covering cake boards(besides silver foil)....or hear what everyone uses instead of cake boards........of course everyone here sits their cakes on SOMETHING...so what do you use?

26 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 27

I make mostly fondant covered cakes, so I cover my boards with fondant. it gives the cake a nice uniform look.

For cake stands I have used interesting framed pictures (most of the time the cake sits on the frame part, so the picture is covered), framed mirrors,
placques and large wall art. I have picked these up for less that $10.

sweetkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkake Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 27

I use colored foils from the cake supply stores.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 27

Wrapping paper, tissue paper, or even high-quality pretty napkins, covered with food-safe cello wrap.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 27

Thanks for your replies dsilvest & sweetkake!

everyone else......24 views....2 replies...????....like i said before EVERYONE sits their cake on SOMETHING.....thats all i'm gonna say about that....

sorry...thanks to you also cherrycakes

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 27

I do fondant too because I don't like the look of foil. I used foil on a cake that looked like a leg in a cast but that's because I was trying to mimic the silver exam tables. I've used wrapping paper covered with plastic wrap before but I'm paranoid that a piece would come off and choke someone.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 27

On a few cakes (you can see them in my photos: the baby cake, the purse cake and the brown with bronze bow cake), I used my Print Artist software to make posters. I print it out larger than the board I'm using, then wrap the board. Sometimes I accent it with a ribbon (like in the purse cake). At first I covered the poster with a food-safe plastic (baby cake), but now I don't do that.

These get fabulous comments--personalized for birthday, new baby, etc.

You can get this software for a very cheap price on eBay.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 27

I WRAP MY BOARD WITH SHELF PAPER, EITHER WHITE OR THE LIGHT MARBLED TYPE DEPENDING ON THE CAKE COLOR SCHEME.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 27

I have used tissue paper, wrapping paper and even scrapbook papers and covered them in food safe cellophane. I have also used the white freezer paper with the shinny side out. I have done some with fondant and also used the decorative foils. I think there are many many ways to cover them. Since I don't sell cakes but make them for family and friends, it depends on the cake and also who it is for. I started out with regular foil because that was what I used in my Wilton Classes. Much better to use other things. lol.

lil_girl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_girl4 Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 27

I will use the foil cake paper but I do not really like the look of it. I also use fondant and usually wrap a ribbon around the edge. I use just the cardboard cake boards so far to put the cake on. I have not been doing this for a long time so I have not tried much beyond the basics.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

On a few cakes (you can see them in my photos: the baby cake, the purse cake and the brown with bronze bow cake), I used my Print Artist software to make posters. I print it out larger than the board I'm using, then wrap the board. Sometimes I accent it with a ribbon (like in the purse cake). At first I covered the poster with a food-safe plastic (baby cake), but now I don't do that.

These get fabulous comments--personalized for birthday, new baby, etc.

You can get this software for a very cheap price on eBay.

what a good idea! what kind of paper do you use to print it out?....and how in the world do you print a poster? do you get it done @ a print shop???

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 27

Just as a reminder, florist foil is not food safe. You must put something foodsafe between the cake and the foil - I use foil, and then use either a parchment circle, a second cake board, or plastic wrap.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 27

To everyone that uses the food safe cellophane: where do you buy it? do they carry it in Wal- Mart?

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspice1981

Just as a reminder, florist foil is not food safe. You must put something foodsafe between the cake and the foil - I use foil, and then use either a parchment circle, a second cake board, or plastic wrap.

Thanks for the tip!!!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 27

cupcakesnbuttercream: The Print Artist software allows you to make the poster--lines up everything and prints out on sometimes as many as 6 sheets, depending on size. Then you paste/glue/tape the pages together. It also includes guidelines so it is a seamless looking poster. You don't notice that it is made up of several sheets when you have a beautiful cake sitting on top! I just use nice copy paper.

The cakeboards get just as many comments as the cakes!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_girl4

I will use the foil cake paper but I do not really like the look of it. I also use fondant and usually wrap a ribbon around the edge. I use just the cardboard cake boards so far to put the cake on. I have not been doing this for a long time so I have not tried much beyond the basics.

I too, use the cardboard...that's why I'm trying to get new ideas! I've been doing this for 5 months. I have used the cake bases from wilton & I like them....but they only come two in a pack...

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinkema

cupcakesnbuttercream: The Print Artist software allows you to make the poster--lines up everything and prints out on sometimes as many as 6 sheets, depending on size. Then you paste/glue/tape the pages together. It also includes guidelines so it is a seamless looking poster. You don't notice that it is made up of several sheets when you have a beautiful cake sitting on top! I just use nice copy paper.

oh, d'uh!!!.....i didn't think about that icon_redface.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

To everyone that uses the food safe cellophane: where do you buy it? do they carry it in Wal- Mart?

I get it at Michael's.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 27

I also you my digital scrapbooking software and print out backgrounds (can get them free on-line). I then tape them on my board and cover with clear contact paper. I also put a layer of wax paper between my cake and the board. I believe that contact paper is not food safe.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #20 of 27

Freezer paper works well, especially for sheetcakes.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #21 of 27

I have used wrapping paper covered with clear contact paper. I got that idea from something on youtube.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #22 of 27

I usually use cake drums instead of regular cake boards, so they're already lined with food-safe foil, but then I cover them with either fondant, or royal icing. LOVE the effects you can get with the royal icing!!! (Will have some nice examples posted in the next few days, heehee icon_wink.gif ).

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #23 of 27

I use the Press-n-Seal wrap by Glad that sticks to just about anything...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that stuff!!! I also use foam core boards most of the time because they are a lot sturdier wrapped in Press-n-Seal...or I will tape or glue two Wilton cake boards together and then wrap in Press-n-Seal...what's great about it is that it has a sort of texture to it so that it helps to keep the board in place-(instead of 'sliding' around-when you use clear plastic wrap)

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #24 of 27

On some of my cakes where I use the 12x18 pan, I found a large frosted cutting board that I put my cakes on (the jungle cake and the OSU cake in my photos. I also have started putting my cakes in plastic tubs, I use the lid as the part to sit the cake on and I use the rubber slip proof shelf paper on this, so my cakes don't slide around. Of course, you have to get these back, but I do most of my cakes for my co-workers so it's not a problem.

I am going to try the wrapping paper covered with the cello one of these days. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #25 of 27

Freezer paper, shiny side up.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #26 of 27

I don't. I just buy gold-toned cardboards from my cake supply store. I did a drum for my pillow cake. Much easier for me.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #27 of 27

I purchase foam board when it is on sale or use my coupons. I love it because it can be cut so easily to shape. I work at a place that throws away lots and lots of material so I save it and use it to cover my boards & then cover that in see thru wrap. They turn out beautiful for little cost. Sometimes I spray paint the boards instead & then cover them. I also save cardboard and use that if I don't have the other on hand. Also buy cheap dishes when I can find them & use them on cakes that fit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%