How Much Cake Mix......help!

Decorating By Rebecca78 Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:27am by Rebecca78

Rebecca78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebecca78 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All, I just have a question about how many Cake mixes are needed fo a marble 1/2 sheet pan. I was thinking like 2 white and a 1/2 Choc? Or just use all of it? I am Heading full steam into cake decorating and I want to learn everything! But for now How much cake mix...LOL.....All of your help is very much appreciated...Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 8

I have seen various amounts suggested...first of all are you using a 2" or 3" deep pan, and are you using a 12x18 or a different size? I live at 5300 feet and if I put more than 2 mixes in a 2" deep pan I will be cleaning the oven with burned drips! I can use 3 in the 3" deep pans. For me, 1 mix makes a great 9x13 while some say they need more. So there are a lot of factors to consider.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 8

It depends on what size you pan is that you are calling a 1/2 sheet. There are at least 3 or 4 different sizes. You may need as little as 2 or as much as 3 mixes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #4 of 8

11x15 ... 2" deep ... 2 mixes
12x18 ... 2" deep ... 3 mixes (if you HAVE to use the term "half", this is a half sheet)

In the 12x18, I usually use 2 white and 1 chocolate because chocolate rises higher and spreads more than white, so by the time it's baked, it's practically more of a good 1/2-n-1/2 and less of a one-third/two-thirds cake.

Rebecca78 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 8

Hi.... The pan I have is 15 by 11 by 2...maybe its not quite a half sheet...would I need to use a heating core? I have read about using a nail...how exactly do you put it in the batter? Newbie question overload...lol! I am excited to learn all these little tricks!! Thanks so Much!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #6 of 8

Rebecca, first a big welcome to CC! The greatest place for all things cake! thumbs_up.gif

All of my sheets are 1/2-n-1/2. What I do is elevate one end of the cake pan (turn a saucer upside down or use a kitchen towel, folded a few times). Pour in one batter. When you're ready to pour in the 2nd batter, just remove the saucer and pour the 2nd batter in.

Don't worry about the batter running together. It's not Kool-Aid that will blend together in the middle. It's like lava and it will stop when it hits each other. I just shake and bang the pan to level the batter out and it works great.

I use baking strips around the outside of the pan. Some use flower nails. Some don't use either. That's what's great about CC ... so many experiences and methods that get shared ...you can pick and choose the ones that work best for you! thumbs_up.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

[quote="indydebi"]11x15 ... 2" deep ... 2 mixes
12x18 ... 2" deep ... 3 mixes (if you HAVE to use the term "half", this is a half sheet)

Like I said...lots of things to consider...3 mixes in my 2" deep would leave a big black burned blob on the bottom on my oven! But then I am at 5300 feet elevation! So it really does make a difference! Best you can do is try it out for yourself and see what works best for you and your location! First cake I baked when I moved to this town....hummmmm still remember the mess on the bottom of the oven! I had been filling my pans the same for YEARS and all of a sudden everything was overflowing and making a mess! Lesson learned....never had a problem again!

Rebecca78 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much!! Great tips..I really appreciate your help...I am all about learning!! This Rocks...I am soo excitd!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%