Ka Questions From A Newbie

Decorating By cakeaddiction Updated 15 May 2009 , 1:02pm by cakeaddiction

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 6

I know this might seem like a silly question, but since I just spent a bit on the 6qt mixer I don't want to mess it up icon_redface.gif For mixing a cake I know I use the wisk attachment, but for the buttercream I would use the paddle right? Or do I have that wrong? Thank you for helping on what I know is a newb question.

5 replies
Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 6

I use the paddle for both. In my opinion the whisk puts in too much air. I only use whisk for egg whites. HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 6

I use the paddle attachment for both cakes and buttercream. The whisk attachment is only for when you want to incorporate some serious air, like whipped cream or egg whites. The only time I use it for cakes is dor royal icing, or when I make a cake that requires beating egg whites to soft/stiff peaks that then are folde into the batter.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 6

Hi addiction,

Welcome to CC I am a newbie myself and there is loads of stuff here to help you along your way to cakery.

First off I myself own a KA 6qt professional I have had my beloved for almost 7 years... so take this advice my dear, never, never use the wisk attachment for cake batter or buttercream if its a meringue style only. American buttercream PADDLE all the way; The KA 6qt pro is a MONSTER.

But still try it out it may work for you and your style of baking.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 6

Page 9 of your instruction book has a chart on what type of things each attachment is good for. Page 11 is also helpful as it lists the different speeds and what each is appropriate for.

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the tips. I haven't had a chance to sit down and read that manual yet and I know sometimes manuals will say one thing but experience shows another. I greatly appreciate all the help. I knew you wonderful people would have some great advice. Thank you again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%