Returning Cake/ Cupcake Stands

Business By CVB Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:22pm by marmalade1687

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #1 of 6

Hello,

This is my first summer of weddings, my question to you all is. How do you arrange to get the cake/cupcake stands back after the wedding? Do any of you drive out to the venue to pick-up or do you leave it to the bride to get it back?

5 replies
en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 6

It's the couple's responsibility to get equipment back to me. I charge a hefty cash deposit for my stuff, so I always get it back a couple of days after the event.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 6

I also charge a deposit and make it clear to the client that it is their responsibility to return the stand to me, usually by the Wednesday following their weekend wedding (I only do weddings). If you have to chase them down, it will be a nightmare for you and costly as well if you factor in gas and your time. If you start this policy and firmly stick to it, it will work out well for you.

Good luck with your business!

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #4 of 6

What is a good deposit amount? 100 dollers?

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 6

I have one stand where the deposit is 350. I find that a large deposit lights that proverbial fire under their bums and equipment is returned to me pronto.

I charge the full cost of the equipment PLUS the cost of emergency overnight shipping (what if I need the stuff for a cake the following week?), plus a hefty amount extra to help sooth my irritation.

I make them sign off that they have read my terms and agree to have the equipment back to the store at the latest Wednesday evening after their event (weekend wedding). Most couples are at the store bright and early on Tuesday morning when I open.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

I charge the full cost of the equipment PLUS the cost of emergency overnight shipping (what if I need the stuff for a cake the following week?), plus a hefty amount extra to help sooth my irritation.

Ditto! I also tell the couple that even though they may be on their honeymoon that week, they need to arrange for someone to bring back the equipment. I get the name and phone number of the person designated to bring it back too - it happened only once where the couple were away, and the person that was supposed to bring back everything decided not to. I had left messages on the couple's phone (I needed the stand for another wedding!), and was just about to cash the deposit cheque when the bride called me in a panic and brought everything back pronto.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%