Help With Mff And Covering A Cake Board.

Decorating By mareg Updated 25 May 2009 , 6:28am by alwayscake

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 10

I covered a 14 inch cake board with MFF it was very very delicate. I did not have it rolled out too thin. Could I have put too much coloring in? and or crisco to make it soft? It tore VERY easy. icon_cry.gif How can I prevent this from happening next time?

Thanks!!

9 replies
mareg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 10

anybody?

crazycakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes22 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 10

When it tore was it when you picked up the fondant to put it on your cake board because I have found that when you use to much crisco your fondant will tear and crack very easily. Also, I have had problems too when you use to much gel coloring. When I make my fondant now I will add the coloring as I am making it and I also have been using my airbrush a lot more. The airbrush is awesome because it saves time and you can get a really nice look with it. I would try maybe a different fondant recipe since you are making your own. If you want my recipe that I use I can pm you it when I get off work. There is alot to learn about fondant and I have experienced many problems but I would never stop using it because it allows me to make really beautiful cakes. So keep trying and eventually you will find a fondant you can work with that does not create too many problems for you.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 10

When adding color to fondant it's very important to remember that there is glycerin in gel colors. This softens fondant tremendously. More powdered sugar or even cornstarch will get the fondant back to the proper consistency. Using shortening for kneading and rolling the fondant will weaken it.

Essentially, if it feels too soft when kneading it, then it will be too soft when rolling it or placing it on a cake. It might be easier to roll, but it just won't work right. Keeping the fondant consistency correct is key. Using the air brush as crazycakes suggested is a much faster and easier way to color fondant. If you really need the fondant to be colored then add the color while mixing it. Then you will be able to add the proper amount of powdered sugar with less work.

HTH

Michele

mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks a lot for you help! For the large cake board I think I'm going to make MFF and color it when I'm making it. I'm still learning about making and working with fondant. Esp. making!

mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 10

What is the best to use when rolling it out ps or crisco or cornstarch? I've heard all diferent answers.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 10

Personally, I use powdered sugar. Too much shortening can weaken the fondant. It's really a matter of personal taste. Try different methods and then go with what works for you.

Michele

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #8 of 10

When I cover a cake board, I roll it out right on the board. I use powdered sugar on the top and nothing underneath the fondant, that way it sticks. I've done it even with fondant that was a little crumbly from having too much color, and it still works.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:17am
post #9 of 10

When working with MMF, I definately use all three of these at one point. The PS in the making of the fondant. Once it's made, I clean my hands and work area from the PS....And switch to Crisco, lightly slather the ball of fondant, knead well and roll in plastic to store.
* When rolling out for covering boards, use cornstarch on workarea, and sprinkle on top.
* When rolling out for covering a cake, I use a blue mat well greased with crisco. It leaves my fondant nice and smooth, no blemishes, and peels off nicely.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

when covering anything bigger than 9" I usually just flip the fondant from the non stick plastic/mat that I used to roll the fondant. No crisco/shortening/powder sugar/corn starch to change the consistency of the fondant. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%