Question About Freezing Rice Krispy Treats

Decorating By jillycakes Updated 20 May 2009 , 7:21pm by ThreeDGirlie

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a cake next week that will need to be frozen for a week before the party (due to my schedule - the person requesting the cake knows this). The cake will be a stump cake with a raccoon sticking out of the top. I was planning on making the raccoon from rice krispy treats piped w/ buttercream "fur" and other fondant accents. Does anyone know what will happen to the rice krispy treat raccoon when it is frozen for a week and then thawed out? I'm concerned that condensation may make it fall apart. Thanks for your advice!!

6 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 7

for my first birthday cake, I did RKT #1 on top. I put it in the freezer overnight, and it was fine the next day, and the day after when I delivered the cake. I didn't have any problem with it.

jillycakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your response! I'm glad to hear that the RKT will freeze okay. One more thing: Did you thaw the cake on the counter or in the fridge? Thanks again.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 7

I actually didn't freeze the whole cake, just the RKT. But, as long as there is no filling that needs to be refridgerated, I would just thaw it on the counter. I freeze all of my cakes after baking, and thaw them all at room temp. If it's fondant, you might get some condensation, but it will dry fine if you just leave it alone. Just make sure to give it enough time to completely thaw and dry before delivery/ pick-up. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

jillycakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Pipe-Dreams - that does help.

laurabeth595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth595 Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 7

at my work we get rice krispies in sheet sizes to cut and decorate for our customers. when ever we first got them we were specificly to not put them in the freezer. it ruins them. that is what i was told but i never actually froze them because i didnt want to make the mistake of ruining product. i wouldnt suggest it but if it is what you have to do them do it by all means

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 7

I had the head of my Elmo cake (RKT + fondant eyes and nose) frozen for about a month without the BC on him. I just had him in a Ziplock and thawed him with it still sealed. He did well with the freezing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%