[I]Now[/i] Who Do I Charge?

Decorating By Kel1222 Updated 15 May 2009 , 10:29pm by tmcakes

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 12

One of my beau's good friends and band mate is getting married. They said right away that they wanted me to do the cake. I had planned to apply some sort of discount, but surely wasn't going to do it for free. I am not close with them, as my beau is, and not for any reason, I just don't see them as often as he does. He told me the other night that he told them that he would take care of the cake for them. I will take his contribution for the materials, but do I charge him for my time? This is to serve atleast 100 people and will take a considerable amount of time! He's lucky he's so darn cute, or I'd beat him! NOW, who do I charge?

11 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12

He probably had no idea of the cost or work involved..hehe guys can be clueless. I'd tell him what the honest charge for it would be and see what he comes up with. At any rate he needs to know so he doesn't offer to take care of the cake in the future.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 12

Where's indydebi when you need here icon_smile.gif If it's his gift to the couple then he needs to pay for it. He couldn't walk into a bakery and get it for cost of materials. If a friend of yours needed a band and you said you would take care of it would they donate their services?

Kel1222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kel1222 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 12

He does know the work involved, because he sees me in the kitchen doing 2 cakes just about every weekend! He even tells me to charge more because of the time involved. You're right though, no offers to the public without checking with me first!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 12

I would charge him definitely for material and given him the discount of my time. Knowing me I would probably give it back by taking him out to dinner or something, but I think he needs to know how much this is otherwise you run the risk of it happening again.

You can tell him that he has to help out. She he volunteer you, you are volunteering him. Make him wash all the dishes!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 12

You can bet I'd at least have his fanny in that kitchen the whole time I was making that cake. He'd be so tired of being my gopher and executive dish washer he'd never offer another free cake.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You can bet I'd at least have his fanny in that kitchen the whole time I was making that cake. He'd be so tired of being my gopher and executive dish washer he'd never offer another free cake.

DITTO. I'd go that route because it assures he will not be a repeat offender.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 12

I would definitely let him know what the real final price would be, and he gets to work off the difference between that and the materials helping you out in the kitchen making the cake.
That way it will really be his gift, and not just your sacrifice.

He can clean up as you go along, make sure you have everything at hand that you need, make sure the house is clean while you bake and decorate, bring you dinner etc.
Really make him work for that money difference.
He will learn not to offer up your services like that again.
You can love him and still make sure he learns the lesson without being mean or malicious about it.

Quote:
Quote:

If a friend of yours needed a band and you said you would take care of it would they donate their services?

Genius point well made. [/quote]

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:25am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

LOL!! thumbs_up.gif Too funny!!!! Sounds like you've got the right idea! He will never make that mistake again!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #10 of 12

Hubby did that once .... the condensed version is he was paying for the chocolate fountain and thought it would be about fifty bucks. When I told him $750, his chin hit the floor. He said, "You're not REALLY going to charge me that are you?" I said, "Get your checkbook, babycakes, and I also take credit cards."

But if you don't want to do that, then DEFINITELY have his little tooshie in the kitchen with you EVERY MINUTE.

It's pretty easy to volunteer some work for free when someone ELSE has to do the work! icon_rolleyes.gif SHow him what it MEANS to volunteer to do that work!!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 12

If your beau said he would take care of the cake, have him get a couple of prices including a price from you. He should also tell them that it is his wedding gift to them. Make sure he knows what he has gotten himself (and you) into.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12

LMAO!!!!! Love the humor, me I would be highly upset, but will remember this thread if someone else was to offer my services.

"Man do I hate cleaning up Powder Sugar explosions icon_cry.gif and not to mention the other crazy stuff that get thrown in the sink for later clean up!

YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS SITE! NEVER A DULL MOMENT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%