Omg, Move Into New Shop Today..and A Question About Hd Visit

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 29 May 2009 , 8:08pm by cylstrial

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 13

I'm meeting with the HD for final sign-off on our new kitchen, and I'm curious if they ask things like info from the Food Handler's test (like the temps for hot and cold holding of food, rules about this and that, etc)? I know most of it, but I'll brush up just in case.

Thanks!

--Sorry I've been gone so much lately; the last month has been INSANE with my regular life, DH's business, and a zillion trips to the shop while they're finishing it, errands everywhere to get that one *last* thing (remember the new X5 we ordered? I've averaged 100 miles a DAY for the 1st 3 weeks that we've been driving it!!), plus the sweat/blood *equity* of us doing our own priming, painting, and some of the floor, but it's GORGEOUS. Can't wait to show you !!!

I start moving in today!! 930 sq ft of fresh paint, giant appliances, white-white cabinets, and new stainless!!

It's really happened. *sniff*! I'll post pics as soon as I get them organized--I took them every step of the way.

Gotta run

12 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 13

Cant wait to see the pics!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 13

Congratulations!!!
Im also working on my new shop and Im going crazy too.
My shop it the tiniest thing, only 500sq ft, but its so cute and the best thing is that is in a great area! Im sooo happy!!!

When the HD inspected my home kitchen she just sat in there, completed all the info that was missing on my forms, collected the check and left.
She did not asked any questions regarding food handling or anything.
I called the same lady yesterday to see what I needed to do differently on my new shop compared to my home kitchen and she just said I need a 3 bowl sink and a hand washing station.

Today, after my day job, Im going to the restaurant store to check out the sinks, SS table, oven, racks, etc.

Im hoping be opened by Julyits A LOT of work, well see.

Good luck to you!!!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 13

She/he is inspecting the facility. They will not quiz you!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 13

Good; that's one less thing. icon_smile.gif

I'll keep you posted the next time I take a 20 minute vacation to eat a sandwich!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 13

They are there to inspect the facility to make sure everything is operating and set up properly..... hot water is hot, towels by the handwashing sink, refrigerator is cold, proper storage containers, etc.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 13

I was just going through the forum...where are the pics? icon_biggrin.gif

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 13

Congratulations! Do a coupon in the area publications if you can.
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #9 of 13

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! party.gif
I love hearing these wonderful stories!
Post pictures as soon as you can!
Good luck!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 13

I'm not sure where you are located, but when I rented a kitchen in OH the HD had me mix up a food item in front of them. This was to make sure of proper food handling and sanitation.

Other than that they just wanted to make sure that the fridge and feezer where at proper temp, that I had the proper sinks and such.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'm not sure where you are located, but when I rented a kitchen in OH the HD had me mix up a food item in front of them. This was to make sure of proper food handling and sanitation.

Other than that they just wanted to make sure that the fridge and feezer where at proper temp, that I had the proper sinks and such.

wOW, I wasn't allowed to have one crumb of food in the kitchen until it was approved ... not even my own personal lunch.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 13

Indy, I think that's actually how most states are. Every other state I've been in always is the same as yours. No personal food or drinks until inspected.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 13

I'm so excited for you!! That's awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%