Cake Serving Guide

Decorating By momma28 Updated 14 May 2009 , 7:59pm by Butterfly27

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am a bit confused...I have seen several different cake cutting guides for wedding cakes. I am trying to make a final decision on which to use for pricing and providing a guide to my brides. Previous to this I have always been a friend of the bride and was there to cut the cake so it was no big deal. It seems that some of the standard serving sizes are so scimpy. I see 2 inches deep by 1 inch thick (of course 4 inches high) alot but that barely seems to be more than a couple of bites. I had one reception where the cake was the only thing served (cake and punch reception) people would have passed out from starvation if I had cut it like that. I also feel bad charging per slice rates on something that isnt a hearty slice.

Which ones do you use? I have a bride who I am working with now that is very excited about the different flavors I can do and I dont want her to be dissapointed that the slices will be small. Is there a more generous slicing guide? Plus what is your per slice rate for a decorated 4 tier wedding cake?

4 replies
cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

I go by the wilton serving charts. I used to be like you and want to give them more, and did, up until about 6 months ago. I then realized that since just about every other bakery charges by the slice 1x2x4, I was doing the 1.5x2x4, I was jipping myself out of time and money in supplies. Hopefully you can get some more advise on here from the other bakers.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 5

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88648.html
Go to this link and look at the sizes, they are great to show a customer and have them decide what size they want. Indydeb also has a great serving how to on her catering websit too. Hope this helps.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88648.html
Go to this link and look at the sizes, they are great to show a customer and have them decide what size they want. Indydeb also has a great serving how to on her catering websit too. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much this was great. I am a bit of a woodworker myself so I am going to head down to my workroom and make these up today icon_smile.gif So I guess my next question is....is the per slice charge for the 2 inch slice double that of the 1 inch slice? I have read that a standard charge is 3 - 4 dollars a slice for a wedding cake and most go by the standard 1 inch thick slice. I am trying to figure out my base because this bride wants a different flavor per tier and might require sheet cakes in addition to the tiered cake because she said most people will want to try more than one flavor. I have to charge more for multiple flavor tiers. I've done it before and it is soooo much more work with all the different fillings and such.

Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 5

For my base prices I charge $4 per serving (Buttercream) and $5 per serving (Fondant). Those are just basic no decorations. I charge those prices whether they are 1 or 2 layer. I also charge extra for any other decorations that have to be put on the cake. I also go by the wilton serving charts and serve 1x2x4" slices. Hope that helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%