How Long Will Ri Last?

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 14 May 2009 , 7:07pm by CanadianCakin

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #1 of 5

I wanna use RI, I never have before...so i was wondering if I make it before I need it will it keep for awhile like BC or do I have to make right before I use it??
For example sometimes I make my BC 2 or 3 days in advance keep it in the fridge then re-whip before I need it can you do this with RI???
Thanks soooo much!
Ashley

4 replies
classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 5

I have kept it for a couple of weeks, as long as it is stored properly so it does not dry out. You do not need to refridgerate it. This works with the meringue powder type royal, so it can be rebeaten.

Cover your bowl with a damp (not wringing wet) paper towel, then a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of foil tightly sealed around the bowl. When you need to use it, just beat it for a couple of minutes.

CanadianCakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 5

Exactly what I needed to know thank so much!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 5

I hate to disagree, but you should not leave a wet paper towel in the bowl with the royal icing. You are simply adding moisture to the environment within the bowl, and sugar has amazing hygroscopic properties, which means it will pull the moisture right out of that paper towel into the icing and commit suicide. This will happen even if the wet paper towel is not touching the surface of the icing.

To store royal icing for a week or so, simply place a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the icing and snap a tight lid on the bowl. To store royal icing for up to a few months in the fridge, do the same. You will need to rebeat the icing briefly before using, and you may need to add some additional powdered sugar.

I keep royal icing in the fridge at all times because I use it for various applications in cake decorating (for assembling bows, for attaching some decorative elements, etc) and don't want to be bothered making a fresh batch each time.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Sherri!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%