Wilton Bake Even Strip - Are Using Those?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 15 May 2009 , 9:11pm by kat518

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 21

I purchase Wilton Bake Even Strip, and am wondering, how happy are you with those. I baked twice with that, round cakes, and the top was good brown, but when removing the cake from pan, the sides were looking not cooked and a bit sticky, but the cake was done. I haven't seen much improvements of the less leveling of the cake.
So far, I am not using this anymore.

20 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 21

I love mine!...are you using them wet?..
Edna icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 21

I use them everytime I bake with no problem. In fact my cakes come out so much better because of them.

ZlatkaT Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 21

Yes, I am using them wet...but maybe it was too small cake to test it (8"). If you are happy, maybe I did it wrong, you just put me in better mood for trying again icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 21

I use these all the time, after having not used them for several years. Today in fact I baked two 10" squares and used them, and they came out perfectly done and perfectly flat. I LOVE that! icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 21

size doesn't matter (at least with respect to cakes), I use them on 6inch cakes also

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 21

I refuse to put a cake pan in the oven without a baking strip around it. 6" to 14x22".

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 21

I love the Wilton baking strips. Never bake a cake without them. Have used the strips with 6 inch cakes and no problem. However, I do use the flower nail in my cakes which I strongly believe in.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

I purchase Wilton Bake Even Strip, and am wondering, how happy are you with those. I baked twice with that, round cakes, and the top was good brown, but when removing the cake from pan, the sides were looking not cooked and a bit sticky, but the cake was done. I haven't seen much improvements of the less leveling of the cake.
So far, I am not using this anymore.

I have also noticed this, but i now always take them off about 20 mins to the end of the baking time (for big cakes).O just when the cake has finished rising like an hour into baking or so.And my cakes have been perfect.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #10 of 21

I love mine and use them everytime with absolutely no problem! icon_biggrin.gif I've used them on small cake and big cakes. No problem.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #11 of 21

The strips should be wet.. but not soaking wet. This will keep the sides from cooking completely, while the rest of the cake will be finished. I use them all the time and have only run into this when the strips are too wet.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #12 of 21

I used them for years when baking was a hobby. Totally agree that they should not be dripping wet.

If the cake is looking about done and the edges seem not so done, then remove them for the last few minutes of baking.
Also, make sure you are using the right size and not overlapping them a bunch. That can change the proper baking.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 21

I used them when I first began baking, then quit. They are a pain. I began lowering the oven temp about 15 degrees and adding a few minutes to the baking time - perfectly level cakes every time. No strips required!

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #14 of 21

I wont bake without mine either. My cakes come out perfect with never a problem. I can't imagine what would cause the problem you had. Try again.

ZlatkaT Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #15 of 21

Now I know the problem was too wet. I see you guys like it, so I am going to try again. hank you soooo much. Love this site!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 21

I lower the temp to 325 and never bake without them. Cakes come out almost flat on top.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 21

I live in colorado and never had luck with them. I get a big dip in the center of the cake. Insetad of making it level, it makes it dome in for me!

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 21

Well I've learned something new today. I've had the exact same problem but always thought my oven temp was off ((i'm such a newbie..LOL)) so i would leave the cake in just a little bit longer and it seemed okay. Now I know not to soak my strips, cause I was definitely guilty of that one. Thanks guys for the great help.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 21

I know I am in the minority here, but I have never used them (not have I ever used a flower nail/heating core in any cake I've made). I understand the science behind the strips, but have never seen the need for them, personally.

suzyq0204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyq0204 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #20 of 21

I just had the very same problem myself for the first time after having used the strips for some time. My problem was exactly what everyone said...the strips were too wet this time around.

kat518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kat518 Posted 15 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #21 of 21

I've used them for years and love them too...they now have ones with velcro....a little easier then the T-pins....
I soak the strips in a sauce pan filled with water...then after 15min. I take the strip between my thumb and first finger and squeeze ...until slightly damp and place them around the pan...and yahoooo....an even baked cake.

Kat icon_wink.gif~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%