How Do I Charge For Decorated Cookies?

Business By Lita829 Updated 3 Jan 2015 , 10:12pm by thebakingbutler

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 14

I have sold baked good in the past but I am having a hard time knowing what to charge for decorated cookies. In the past, I mainly sold chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal explosion....generally drop cookies. I delivered my first order of dec cookies yesterday and they were at $1.00/per cookie. This was for an organization I am close to so I didn't want to overcharge. I have another order for a dec flower cookie and I told her $1.25/cookie. I wouldn't change the price at this point because that would be bad business...but I'm curious to know what's the going price for most dec cookies?

Please help because I don't want to overcharge, but I want the price to cover expense and some time.

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 14

Well most cookie and cake decoraters here charge anywhere from $2-$5.00 a cookie..This usually comes wrapped in a cellophane bag with ribbon.If the cookies are not wrapped I would still charge about $2-3.00..They are very time consuming to do...most people don't understand the time involved thus the cost.If it takes me nearly 4 hours to bake,freeze(Not all in one day) decorate ...leave overnight to dry...then package and ties ribbons..You can bet I'm not gonna make $2.00 an hour to do them...JMO icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you, KiddieKakes. I see what you are saying icon_smile.gif . I now have a framework of what to charge for the cookies. I wasn't factoring in packaging and all that good stuff.

Thanks again for your help!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 14

I've made decorated cookies and I love making them although, I've never sold one...since this is my hobby I give them all away, and people do love them. But let me tell you...they are soooooo much time consuming!!!!!! it's, at least, a 3 day proyect to make 20-30 cookies for me.
So, if you're selling them I'd follow the advice of the experts here...and BTW $1.00 a cookies really is a give away.
Good luck!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 14

My decorated cookies start at $2/cookie. I think the general rule of thumb on here is to charge $1 per inch of cookie.

You are really giving them awesome deals! Make sure you charge enough to cover your time otherwise you will get burned out real fast!

Happy decorating icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 14

The $1 per inch is a good starting point for pricing cookies. If it's a simple cookie design, I would probably charge less. If it's complicated or has lots of colors, I would charge more. You also have to charge an additional fee for the packaging. Decorated cookies are individual works of art that take a lot of time and patience to produce. Many people don't realize this, and will be shocked at the prices. So be it. As sambugjoebear stated, if you undercharge you'll just get burned out and start to hate getting orders!

Lita829 Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks every one soooo much. I'll know for future orders what to charge.

You ladies have been very helpful icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:30am
post #8 of 14

Yes - there was another thread on here recently that said simple cookies start at .75 an inch and then depending on how many colors and how detailed, that it would go up to 1.00/inch and so on. I don't remember what the final amount was but it was for six colors or something. =o) Maybe someone can link you to that thread.

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 14

How much do you charge for fondant covered cookies as opposed to royal icing?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by splymale

How much do you charge for fondant covered cookies as opposed to royal icing?

Good question! I'd like to know the answer as well. Not that I sell anything, I just like to have an idea for when I get to open a business!

Lita829 Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 14

That is a good question, Spymale. I just started selling dec cookies but I'd like to know in case I try making them with fondant in the future.[/quote]

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 14

I'm just kind of starting too, and what I thing I'm going to do is this:

$2.50 for standard 3"-5" RI cookies, then have this disclaimer

"Cookies under 2" or over 5", those with more than 5 colors of icing, those with very simple or highly detailed designs will be priced on an individual basis."

That way I can cover my bases if someone says "well you say they're $2.50, why are you charging me $4 for a 6 inch cow? Or a 8 color clown?"

I am also selling them for $1 each right now to family but when I am licensed and open to the public I will do the above pricing. I just hope my little town will pay those prices.

Lita829 Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks, HeidiCrumbs...that sounds like a good idea...and fair. icon_wink.gif I also live in small town so I have to be careful not to scare people away with high prices. My town in not the chic-est place in the world.

thebakingbutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebakingbutler Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 14

For medium (3") cookies covered in a single color/cut of fondant, I charge $1.75-$2. If I do any shaping, painting, piecing different colors together, or shading with color dusts, I go up from there. From my experience, I have to individually package them, they don't stack like RI covered cookies do, so factor that in too. I heat seal mine in cello bags for three reasons: 1) it look more professional, 2) they stay fresher longer, and 3) it's cheaper than tying each back with a tie or ribbon. For 3" cookies, you can wrap 2-3 cookies per treat bag by heat sealing. It also gives you a smoother surface to affix a label. Best cookie trick I ever had shared with me? Buy a cheap, narrow flat iron to seal your bags with. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%