Bumpy Ganache

Decorating By kjskid Updated 14 May 2009 , 1:12am by classiccake

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 5

I put ganache on my cake, and it's a bit bumpy. The cake was smooth, I think the ganache just got too cool before I put it on. Luckily, it's just a practice cake. So, if I notice the ganache is too cool before I pour it, can I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up? Or what's the best way to warm it up. Also, after it's been put on the cake, is there anything I can do to smooth it down?
Thanks.

4 replies
ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5

Sorry, no help here from me, but I am eager to hear any answers, have the same Q. But, I think, I saw a tutorial and they put 2 layers of Ganache, on the first picture was bumpy, the second was smooth. Maybe that would work. But consider me as newbie, newer made Ganache before, and going to make for the first time on Friday.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

bump

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

you can reheat he ganache, but very slowly in the microwave or in a double bolier. Was it smooth when you put it on? Either the chocolate was not all melted or crumbs from the cake got in it when you put it on the cake. If there are small bumps, use a metal spatula dipped in boiling water (to get the spatula hot), wipe dry and take a pass over the top, dip again in boiling water, etc til it gets smooth. The heat from the spautuals will smooth out the bumps if there are ganache. If they are crumbs, it won't help much. HTH

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

It sounds to me like the chocolate was not fully melted or the ganache was too cool. I pour the ganache right after I make it while it is still quite warm, or reheat it carefully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%