Patriotic Red White And Blue Wedding Cake

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 14 May 2009 , 3:53am by CShields

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 8

I have my first paying wedding cake. 150-175 people they want a patriotic them. I am think white white red white and blue roses. Trying to keep them in bc one to keep cost down and 2 because i am new at this whole decorating thing. (my mom is my mentor, and teacher, so she will be helping) Any suggestions or if any of you have websites or pictures that would truely help. thanks

7 replies
CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 8

I created a three-tiered wedding cake a couple of months ago for a customer that "had to have" blue flowers. Frankly I thought that blue roses were not natural roses; however, to my surprise, there are a number of florists that have real blue flowers (roses) that are naturally grown. They are quite expensive, though! So I did the cake in buttercream. I handmade all the pearls on the cake out of white chocolate fondant. Then due to time contraints, I ordered gumpaste flowers from a leading company that hand makes them. I airbrushed many of the roses blue and used the company's gorgeous red roses to off set all the blue. To my surprise, the red, white, and blue theme was very attractive and brought many compliments. See for your self- http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1255578&sub=1359755. Good luck in making your cake. I'd love to see it when you are done.

CShields Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

Opps, I just looked at the cake and remembered that the cake was not done in buttercream. icon_redface.gif I used a wonderful bright white ChocoPan Fondant for the icing.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

CShields...That cake is really gorgeous...I would think RetiredNavalChief will be able to get an idea from this..... thumbs_up.gif

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

the cake is gorgeous! what size pans did you use? I do not know if i would have done all of those by hand. what about just dots for the same effect?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 8

If you're not fond of blue roses, you could make the leaves blue, or do a 2-tone rose with the tips of the whiet rose petals in blue.

Red roses with white leaves and just some blue accents (scrolls or dots or a blue ribbon at the base).

CShields Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

the cake is gorgeous! what size pans did you use? I do not know if i would have done all of those by hand. what about just dots for the same effect?

Thank you for your compliment. That cake's layers were: an 8", a 12" and a 16". I always give the bride and groom the top cake as my gift to them. Usually I tell them that they may want to take that cake home after the wedding and freeze it to enjoy on their one year anniversary; however, I've heard many newly weds, now a days, are so harried and hassled during their wedding reception that they normally have told me they were too busy to eat anything at their wedding reception . . . to much to attend to. So a number of them have told me how they take their "anniversary cake" home after the wedding and just sit down and devour the whole thing together in the comfort of their honeymoon spot the night of their wedding. icon_rolleyes.gif The remaining cakes will serve #135 guests (16"= 90 servings & 12"= 45 servings). The 8" would normally yield 15 servings, which is up to the bridal couple, whether they would be in a bind and need that cake for a backup for overflowing guests at the wedding. Your idea of dots sounds great and would be a great deal less work. It would look beautiful.

CShields Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you're not fond of blue roses, you could make the leaves blue, or do a 2-tone rose with the tips of the whiet rose petals in blue.

Red roses with white leaves and just some blue accents (scrolls or dots or a blue ribbon at the base).

I just took a moment to view indydebi's photos. Wow you really rock girl! How beautiful your cakes are. You have some excellent ideas of integrating blue flowers into your designs. I hope that RetiredNavyChief takes a look at your photo albums. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%