Fondant Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 14 May 2009 , 12:34am by Dessert_Diva

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 9

Ok...I'm still pretty new to this. Self taught for the most part...no real culinary schooling.

SO! For my wifes birthday I'm making a cake with a dragon on top. Not a huge dragon, maybe about 6 inches high. I may go a bit bigger, have to see how it develops.

My question is, will it be easier to mold it from fondant or gumpaste? I'm going to be painting it also, so that may sway the decison.

Also, with the dye paste, gel stuff. Do you water it down, before you paint with it? How does that work exactley?

Thank you all

8 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 9

I'm glad to see other men in here.

I think gumpaste would be better. It will dry harder and it will keep its shape.

As for painting, you can mix the gel stuff with vodka, vanila extract or lemon extract.

Good luck.

5ricecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5ricecakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #3 of 9

I agree with RylanTy, about the gumpaste. Fondant will dry, but not as hard as gumpaste or in even half the time...

As far as painting, you should use the vodka or extracts because they evaporate quickly. Using water will make the gumpaste or fondant (either) melt. Speaking from experience. icon_smile.gif

Good luck and can't wait to see a picture!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 13 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 9

As someone who has taken figure modeling classes from Aine2 and Debbie Brown, I can tell you from experience that using a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste, or fondant with Tylose, will give you a much better window of time to work your piece than gumpaste will, and will dry just as hard as gumpaste in a very short amount of time.

Welcome to CC, d3sc3n7 and 5ricecakes! Image

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:02am
post #5 of 9

Just be aware that when you do paint w/ gel colors - even diluted ones - they can take a loooong time to dry! I've had stuff w/ just a light coat sit overnight & still be quite tacky. Make sure you have plenty of time, first for your figure to dry & then for the paint. Although, I have found that airbrush colors (painted on, I don't have an actual airbrush) dry a lot faster..

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:44am
post #6 of 9

I am also making some things to put on my cake and have all kinds of marshmellow fondant made.
Can I add the tylose to it or will I have to make a whole new batch and add the tylose during the making process?

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 9

Hey, thanks guys...I'll be sure to put in picture up here when its done. Her bday isnt till next month though.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with idjitmom - use airbrush colors - they will dry much quicker than the gels mixed with alcohol! (americolor has the tiny bottles of it - not expensive and work great!)

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #9 of 9

what should you do if the gum paste starts cracking as it drys?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%