Have You Ever Made Something That...

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 13 May 2009 , 5:50pm by PinkZiab

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 16

Have you ever made something that you wanted to post on CC but can't because there isn't an album/category to upload the photo to but you know that a written description just won't completely explain it?

I have been working on some royal icing monograms for a wedding cake and wasn't very happy because they were so fragile and I just knew that I would never be able to package them for a 2 1/2 hr trip without all of them cracking or breaking. I wanted to make them out of gumpaste and then coat them with royal icing so that they would be stronger. But I couldn't get the gumpaste letters to look really nice and they don't make letter cutters for the size I needed (3" and 3 1/2").

So I decided to try something a little different. I printed out my letters and piped them and flooded them in royal icing on parchment paper (nothing unusal about that) and let them dry. THEN: I diluted the royal icing to a little thinner than what I used to flood the letters and PAINTED each letter with the thinned RI. I let it dry overnight and came home from work each night and painted each letter again, and again, and again, until I had about 5 coats of RI "paint" on the letters. They are much stronger and I believe that they will package and travel without holding my breath to see if they survive the trip.

Now I would like to post photos for you to see, but I can't attach a photo to this thread because I keep getting an error message that the photo can't be found, and I can't upload it to my photos because there isn't a category to place it in.

Hopefully, the explanation will suffice and maybe one day I can get a photo to post.

Now, what about you? Tell us something new (to you) that you do...

15 replies
destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 16

That sounds awesome. I would really love to see a pic. Thanks for sharing.

maddiseeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddiseeyore Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #3 of 16

What a good idea! Would love to see how they turned out, I'm sure they were lovely. I had the same problem a while ago, not being able to find cutters for letters that big. But I did end up finding Wilton number and letter cookie cutters that were just the right size, so I was able to cut them out of gumpaste.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 16

I would keep trying to post it to this forum, but then maybe put it in the template gallery, or wedding cake other.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 16

Wow! what a neat idea....cant wait to see the photos.
nancyg

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:16am
post #6 of 16

Hope this attachment of the letters works:
LL

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #7 of 16

I have ..I have! I've been making chocolate covered caramel apples and making them look like something besides an apple. I've made them into turkey's, frankenstein, teddy bears, santa, a penguin and snow globes. I just made some look like babies and I made some that were bridesmaids dresses. They are very neat but challenging to make but in the end it is worth all the hard work.

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #8 of 16

Thank you destinyrn!!!

I also posted it at http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1367475.html.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:23am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawdroppingCakes

I have ..I have! I've been making chocolate covered caramel apples and making them look like something besides an apple. I've made them into turkey's, frankenstein, teddy bears, santa, a penguin and snow globes. I just made some look like babies and I made some that were bridesmaids dresses. They are very neat but challenging to make but in the end it is worth all the hard work.

Can't you post these in the "fresh Fruit" category?

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #10 of 16

Those sound wonderful. Why not post them in the fresh fruit gallery? Would love to see them.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #11 of 16

I tried and they removed them because they were not part of a cake.

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #12 of 16

How about posting a thread in the General or Lounge forum and attaching a photo to your post?

JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #13 of 16

I would love to do that cause they are cool to try....I actually posted the baby one and so far they have not removed it.

ptanyer Posted 13 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #14 of 16

Those babies are absolutely wonderful. You would never know that they are apples underneath the decoration. You have quite a talent for sculpting! Maybe you need a website to promote your creations, and then you could post your www as part of your profile.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks ptanyer for your comment. I do need to work on a website to post these.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 16

Those letters look perfect! Absolutely flawless... great technique!

And the babies... LOVE 'EM!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%