Anyone Substitute Flavored Yogurt For Sour Cream In Wasc?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 13 May 2009 , 10:36pm by Creative_chika

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 14

I was going to do the WASC with Strawberry Cake mix. I was wondering if strawberry yogurt would work as well as the sour cream, or does the sour cream really need to be in it?

Anyone?

Vicki

13 replies
Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 14

I have substituted part for flavored yogurt, but not all

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 14

I made the WASC cake this weekend, for mother's day using strawberry yogurt, and pureed fresh strawberry, it was a big hit at church and at school . I also used melvira's mock cheesecake recipe but instead of using cheesecake puddung I used lemon because was is what I had on hand and to my suprise the flavors blended well.

HTH

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 14

All I ever do is yogurt instead of sour cream. It turns out fine. Just make sure you do the cake mix half strawberry and half vanilla or white. The boxed strawberry is WAY too strong by itself!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 14

Yes I have and it is great but do like pipe-dreams says...use one box strawberry and one box white cake mix. The yogurt is good cause it has little pieces of the strawberry in it.

VS8894 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 14

Great! Thanks for the tip. I didn't know not to use 2 strawberries. So glad I posted this topic!

See, I knew there would be great answers!

Vicki

djcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 14

Does anyone know if yogurt can be frozen? Yoplait is on sale here and I'd like to stock up if so. Thanks.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 14

You can freeze yogurt, but its cultures will die if you do so. If that doesn't matter to you, then freeze away! icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 14

Allison,

Can you give your recipe? How much yogurt and how much pureed strawberries and did you adjust anything else in the recipe?

Thanks,

Vicki

djcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djcakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:11am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee

You can freeze yogurt, but its cultures will die if you do so. If that doesn't matter to you, then freeze away! icon_smile.gif

Will it harm how cake batter turns out if I do freeze then thaw the yogurt? Thanks for your help Mellee.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:33am
post #11 of 14

I can't see that it would, Djcakes. Freeze one up today and then thaw it. Then compare the consistency to a fresh one and see what you think. You might have to stir it up some when it thaws. My sister freezes yogurt all the time because that's the way her kids like to eat it. They're not getting the benefit of the cultures, but they love the taste and texture! icon_smile.gif

You can freeze sour cream too, which is cheaper than yogurt. The texture does change though, more than yogurt does. It will separate and kind of get cottage cheese-like. You can stir it up and that will help some. It will usually be fine for recipes, but you won't be able to use it fresh on a baked potato unless you don't mind it being a little "piecey."

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:48am
post #12 of 14

I tried making a pineapple and coconut cake. The batter was delicious. I used WASC recipe and eliminated sour cream, added pineapple yogurt, coconut flavoring and crushed pineapple. icon_sad.gif The cake didnt rise, seemed like a pie. Cupcakes sank in the middle icon_sad.gif Can anyone tell me why??

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_chika

I tried making a pineapple and coconut cake. The batter was delicious. I used WASC recipe and eliminated sour cream, added pineapple yogurt, coconut flavoring and crushed pineapple. icon_sad.gif The cake didnt rise, seemed like a pie. Cupcakes sank in the middle icon_sad.gif Can anyone tell me why??

I've been searching for an answer to this as well. I made a coconut orange cake last Sunday and used orange creamsicle yogurt for the sour cream. I almost cried when I saw the flat results. icon_cry.gif The cake was tasty, but extremely heavy...like banana bread. Was it the yogurt? Or maybe the coconut? icon_confused.gif

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 14

I'm going to post another thread on my question...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%