Stupid Sticking Cakes - Grrrrrrrr! Advice Please!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 12 May 2009 , 9:10pm by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 11

Just recently I have had the problem that any cakes I bake in non-lined tins will NOT come out of the pans for love nor money! I have always lined the base & sides of my regular shaped pans (rounds, squares etc), but obviously I can't do this with novelty pans, the ball pan etc. I am using the same recipes, same cake release etc, the only difference is that last year I had to buy a new oven. I used to bake with a gas oven, this new one is electric. Thinking about it, I have only had this problem since baking with an electric oven. The same cakes always turned out well from the pans when I used gas.

How do I stop my cakes from sticking? I have a few cakes coming up that use novelty/ball pans and I want them to turn out properly again! TIA!

10 replies
cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 11

I have used several of the ball pans, I spray them with bakers joy and have not had a problem yet. I also cook with electric. Hope that helps.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 11

Have you tried using some flour too? I usually spray with PAM a dust some flour on the pan. I bake with an electric oven, and it works for me

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 11

Have you tried pan grease (mix of 2 c. shortening and 1 c. flour)? I only have had sticking problems with the Fat Daddio's pans not the Wilton ones.

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 11

i use shortening and dust w/ flour, also recently starting adding parchment paper to the bottoms of my regular pans and i'll never turn back now! for the ball pan i line with shortening, then i cut a round piece of parchment, larger than the circumference of the ball pan and i fold it in half then in half again to find the center, then i use scissors and cut slits towards the center but not all the way, then i just place it into the half ball and press all the way around, hope that makes sense, anyway worked like a charm the half balls just popped right out - i learned this from a book i recently bought, can't remember the name of it right now though... icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone. I have used pan spray, the homemade cake release and they still stick (even though they didn't use to using either!) I have never needed to flour the pan as well, but I'll give that a go and see if that makes a difference. I will definitely do the snipped parchment thing for the ball pan - I have another 4 halves to bake for a caterpillar cake on Saturday. The first 2 stuck and lost their 'skins', but at least I managed to get them out whole! They will be decorated in bc, so I don't really care that they aren't perfect!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 11

hey there. I will only use an electric oven. can't stand gas. in my oven, either. But I use a lot of lube for the shaped pans, and they always turn out fine. Perhaps you aren't using enough. You know what they say... "More cow bell baby!"

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 11

You said you have tried sprays before but have you tried the Bakers Joy? I prefer it to Pam because it has the flour in it. You just have to make sure you really shake the can to get the flour mixed back up. Good luck, I hope you find the right fix for your oven.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 11

I usually line my pans too, but had to use the Wilton cross pan a few weeks ago... First one stuck with the pan grease. The second one, I used EXTRA pan grease and it came out fine.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 11

How long are you letting the cake sit in the pan before turning out? Certain pan greases seem to set up quicker and if I don't turn it out within the 1st 5-10 minutes, I've had to reheat it and try again! That being said, I doubt it's your problem only because you've not changed anything you do except get a new oven...

One other possibility is box or scratch? If it's a box... what's the expiration date? Don't know why, but I just recently baked a carrot cake for my husband's employees... I used some boxes that I had on hand that had been sitting around longer than usual. I had a harder time with getting those out than usual. They definitely seemed to stick more. Could be that with age, the chemistry changed a bit? Anyway - just thought I'd put that out there as a possibility.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 11

I can't get Baker's Joy, or any other kind of commercial pan grease as I live in Europe. We have a pan spray that is just vegetable oil/lethicin based and that used to work just fine, also the homemade cake release recipe on this site with the flour in it worked great too, until I got the new oven! I am always generous with the grease, whatever I use!

I only scratch bake and have been using the same recipes for years with no problems up until now. I let the cakes sit in the pans for no more than 5-10mins, I've even tried getting them out straight away, but nothing seems to make a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%