Wine Bottle Help (Not Poured Sugar....)

Decorating By karateka Updated 12 May 2009 , 4:52pm by Rosie2

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 8

I am (trying) to cover a styrofoam wine bottle in gumpaste/fondant mixture. It doesn't look really smooth like glass, and I'm getting frustrated. I see the seam, the minor fingerprints or dents from who knows what....maybe imperfections in the foam? I'm thinking I'll cover the current layer again, but am looking for tips to get it on there with minor flaws and as smooth as possible. I'm going to coat in in confectioner's glaze after for that shiny look, but don't want it all dimply.

Any tips or help from you pros out there? I don't do sugar. I'd like to be worthy of her fee....and I've never had this much problem doing novelty stuff before.... icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

7 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, sorry you're having so much trouble. You know I've tried to work with styrofoam once and had so much trouble so I gave up. I was trying to make a purse...Then someone suggested 'rice krispies treats' and it worked great!!
Not sure if you want to try RKT but they work great! My proyect was nothing complicated but I did noticed some bumps from the RKT so I just put a layer of buttercream and then two layers of fondant and it was smooth.
Good luck!

Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

BTW, how do you use confectioner's glaze? I tried to use it once and it was making my color run...I was trying to add shine to a fondant baby's eyes and it kept on ruining the color icon_sad.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 8

Using rice krispy treats are you supposed to cover them really thick in buttercream before covering with fondant?

Thanks, Carol

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, rosie, but I didn't use krispies since they can be so heavy, and this is tall and skinny. I need it to set up hard pretty quickly, and sometimes krispies can take a while.

Sigh....I guess I just have to soldier through and hope I can get close. Maybe I'll have to experiment with sugar sometime in the future.

Confectioner's glaze has made my colors run, too. I figured since my fondant was colored, and I wasn't painting it on a painted surface, it would work. I've done it on gumpaste berries and it worked great, but they were solid color gumpaste.

Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

Using rice krispy treats are you supposed to cover them really thick in buttercream before covering with fondant?

Thanks, Carol

No, not really...I used a thin layer of buttercream, but my fondant was a little thicker. And, I did used two coats of fondant because I wanted it very smooth.
The purse was for a young girl and she and all her friends eat the rice krispies purse including the fondant! I used bubble gum flavor for the fondant so they loved it icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 8

sorry double post icon_redface.gif

Rosie2 Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Thanks, rosie, but I didn't use krispies since they can be so heavy, and this is tall and skinny. I need it to set up hard pretty quickly, and sometimes krispies can take a while.

Yes, you're right...RKT with fondant does gets heavy and it can take a while to set. I had to freeze it a little to set it faster...and, I also been wanting to experiment with sugar bottles but I'm a 'chicken' icon_redface.gif he,he although, I've seen excellent results here thumbs_up.gif
Good luck Karateka, I hope it works for you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%