Refrigerate Or No Refrigerate Fondant

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 14 May 2009 , 6:52pm by mandyloo

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

After making a batch of mmf someone said to refrigerate for it to get darker n color, but others have said never refrigerate MMF , so which is it? Can I let mmf sit out as long as it is covered tightly in plastic? I am cornfused here. icon_cry.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, it can be kept out of the frig, well wrapped for several days.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

only for several days? I thought fondant was good for a couple months?

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 7

I had some leftover red MMF in the freezer since last February. I got it out last night, let it thaw, and kneaded it until it was soft and pliable. It tastes fine. I didn't try to cover a cake with it yet, but I think it will work just fine.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 7

sooo, once it's on a cake...can it be refrigerated? Covered or uncovered? I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but, I need a cake for sunday evening, and I'm leaving town early Saturday morning, so if I make it friday night (it has a filling that requires refrigeration), would it be okay? Thanks so much in advance.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

I'm not the expert here, but I can share my own experiences. I have refrigerated both MMF and regular fondant after it was on the cakes. I know that condensation is the enemy. I covered the cakes I refrigerated, and both of them came out fine. Just make sure your refrigerator isn't on the coldest setting, and have your AC going when you take them out. I would let your cake sit out a while, maybe about 30 minutes, before transfering to a warmer car. HTH

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna_banana

I'm not the expert here, but I can share my own experiences. I have refrigerated both MMF and regular fondant after it was on the cakes. I know that condensation is the enemy. I covered the cakes I refrigerated, and both of them came out fine. Just make sure your refrigerator isn't on the coldest setting, and have your AC going when you take them out. I would let your cake sit out a while, maybe about 30 minutes, before transfering to a warmer car. HTH

thank you so much, that's what I'll do! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%