How Long Is Sour Cream Good For After Opened

Decorating By amsy Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:26pm by susanscakecreations

amsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amsy Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering how long you can keep sertain foods after they are opened. Sour cream, egg beaters, buttermilk ive only been keeping them for three days after i open them and some people told me they keep them 7 days after opening. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

6 replies
Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

Generally,. these food items have an expiration date on them-go with that. Check that first... A good rule of thumb is within 6-7 days after opening in good refrigeration. Hope this helps! icon_cool.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 7

A lot of time the packaging will have a phrase similar to 'use within xx days of opening". Sometimes the phrase is really small and in a strange spot.

I just checked my sour cream container and it just says to use by the date stamped on package.

amsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amsy Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

i do check the use by date but i thought that date was disreguarded after it was opened.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

It should have a date on it.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 7

I usually give it a week after it's been opened. The "best before" date, is if it hasn't been opened to use by then.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 7

I checked on the Daisy brand of sour cream's website, and here is their official response:

"As a general guideline, you can expect the product to stay fresh for approximately two weeks after opening the container. By smelling, tasting, and looking at the appearance, you can use your best judgment to ensure the products freshness."

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%