I Need Help Making A Standing Chalice!

Decorating By mariak Updated 11 May 2009 , 4:03pm by mariak

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:40am
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a special friends who is being ordained and I would love it to turn out amazing. I need to make a 3d chalice out of fondant or gumpaste for a topper. Are there any molds out there for this or does anyone have any instructions or tips? I have until the end of June but I would like to practice at least once to make sure it turns out. Thanks!

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:53am
post #2 of 7

Oh that sounds wonderful! I'm sure there are molds available but I don't think you'll need one.

I think the way I'd approach this project would be to use either all gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.

I'd also make it in 2 separate pieces (first the stem of the chalice, allow to dry) I would put a dowel in the stem for additional support sort of building the stem around the dowel.
Then I'd make the *cup* part of the chalice, allow to dry and then attach to the stem.

I think if you do it in steps it will turn out great.

Good luck!
Deb

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 7

How about a candy mold..... something like this.......

https://www.cakesnthings.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8269

Or this one that is larger...... if you do not want the host, just don't fill that part.....
https://www.candymoldcentral.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8400

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 7

Me Me Pick Me <waving hand in air> icon_biggrin.gif

I did a big momma chalice cake--lessee if I can find a picture.
It's like over two feet tall I think.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 7

See it's real skinny though.

The plateau is 21" the cake is 16" and the chalice is about two feet tall give or take.

This was one of my shabby chic little wonders. The chalice is foam covered in candy clay. Making the chalice edible would have been fun but these folks would not have been into it kwim. They are into sheet cakes so I was pushing the envelope as it was.

The support is one of those tall clear tubes implanted into the base buried beneath the cake.

<waving hand from the back of the class> Me Me How'm I doin'??? icon_biggrin.gif

C'mon, 'large chalice cake' does not come up in conversation that often kwim??!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

Wow K8! That is awesome!! I made a (much smaller) chalice by forming the cup over the mini wondermold pan...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=34021

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your ideas and pictures. I know what you mean k8mephis. Most people around here only know sheet cakes so I am wanting to really wow them with this cake, plus I want it to be perfect for my friend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%