Canning Your Cake Fillings

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 11 May 2009 , 8:50am by JCE62108

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone ever tried canning any of their fillings instead of freezing them. I dont know much about canning, but the idea interests me. I looked it up once years ago and decided not to do it immediatly when I started reading stuff about botulism and such. But....I guess that is rare...right?

Anyway, anyone do this? Ive heard of people canning curds and such, but can you can other fillings like custards, fruit fillings, etc? It just has to be hot when you can it, right?

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 3

It's important to use a recipe intended for canning. And the jars have to be sterile before filling and the filled jars must be processed in a boiling water bath for a specific number of minutes.

Here's a short how-to on canning fruit fillings:
(With recipes.)

http://clark.wsu.edu/family/specific-foods/FruitPieFilling.pdf

HTH

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:50am
post #3 of 3

Ok so It cant be done with custards and other cooked fillings I guess. i wasnt sure. Thanks for the link. See I remember about sterilizing and all that. I remember that the jars are boiled and then the cooked product is poured into them while still hot and after it cools it makes a vaccuum type seal.

Its been years since I looked this stuff up but Ive always been interested in it. Its just once I saw botulism I was like, no way. Forget it.

Im going to look into it again though. Thanks for your input. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%