Do You Think My Topper/plaque Will Dry In Time?

Decorating By Mom23Angels Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:34am by Mom23Angels

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for a Tuesday morning function at my girls' school. I'm doing a school-related theme and wanted to put a topper with writing on it on the cake.

I made a few yesterday (Saturday) afternoon out of fondant (MMF). They are still borderline soft/flimsy. Do you think they will harden in time? I want to add the writing tomorrow evening. It's not humid or warm here (Iowa). I have them in the dining room on a cooling rack, where they can get cool air from the open windows. Should I have used gumpaste or a fondant/gumpaste mixture? Or maybe different fondant (I have a stash n my pantry including Choco-pan and Fondarific). Maybe I just made them too late....or maybe they'll be fine...

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

BTW I am new here, only been decorating since January. I have learned SO much from all of you. Thank you so much for being so generous with your knowledge and talent icon_smile.gif

3 replies
wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 4

i have only been decorating about two years but it has been my experience that fondant alone takes alot longer to harden up than gumpaste or even a 50/50 mix. i always do a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste for things that i want to actually harden up.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 4

I usually lay my pieces on a little bit of cornstarch. It helps to wick the moisture and make it dry faster.

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your help!

I made a new one out of gumpaste only, just in case....And then I placed them all on cornstarch and dusted on the top with cornstarch as well.

Hopefully that will do the trick : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%