Sugar Bottles

Decorating By mommyle Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:50pm by mommyle

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 4

So, I know that this question has been asked before, and I know that the link is here SOMEWHERE, but darned if I can find the tutorial on how to make the sugar beer bottles. I have a free weekend in a couple of weeks, and I think that I want to make them. Please help me!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

3 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 4

i have a tutorial somewhere on this computer, but can't get to it right now so i'll just quickly jot down my thoughts

week in advance, purchase:
**mold builder, stinky thin paste consistency of liquid, found in the clay section usually of hobby lobby
**air dry clay (hobby lobby)
**paint brush
**cork
**bottle to be molded.

also week in advance, make a "cradle" for your bottle out of the clay...this will act as a stabalizer for your sugar when you pour it into the mold, until it hardens.

about 3-4 days in advance, (it may take this long to cure!), take the bottle that you want to use as your master, clean it carefully, peel off the label, and then allow bottle to dry completely. put a cork or some sort of plug in the top, (cut level with the top of the bottle), place your bottle on small base of parchment or wax paper. start painting the mold builder on, one layer at a time...don't forget to also paint a lip about 2 inches or so extra around the bottom, which will act as a handle when turning your mold with the sugar in it (the mold itself with the boiling hot sugar inside will be far too hot to touch)...wait until that layer has gotten a whitish color to it and is no longer tacky to the touch before continuing with next layer. you will need to put at least 11 to 12 coats on it. when layers are no longer tacky,even in the thickest parts, then you are finally done with the molding process!! wipe outside of mold with a thin dusting of cornstarch, and slowly start rolling off from the bottom up...when it comes off the top, it will be inside out, and sorta resemble a condom (not to be crude here!). use the handle of a wooden spoon or something similar and gently use it to turn the bottle back to the right side out.

BEFORE MOLDING, HAVE YOUR CLAY CRADLE SET UP AND READY TO GO, LONG SLEEVES ON, A GOOD PAIR OF THICK GLOVES OR A DOUBLE LAYER OF LATEX GLOVES ON, AND A BOWL OF ICE WATER NEARBY JUST IN CASE A BURN HAPPENS. buy some isomalt, or do as i did and buy the 20 oz thing of sugar free candy mix, which is isomalt and splenda mixed. go by the directions on the back of the box, which is mixing with water, bringing to a boil, then letting it come to 320, taking it off the burner for 10 minutes, adding color if you want during this time. after 10 minutes, carefully pour hot mixture into your prepared mold, and start slowly turning it. after about 7-10 minutes, it will not be moving anymore, but you'll still need to occasionally walk by and turn it since there is still heat with in and it will start to settle some. my motto: as long as you can still feel any heat coming off the mold, keep a fan blowing up into the bottle and turn the mold a half turn every 5-10 minutes.

when heat is nonexistent, approximately 2 hours or so, slowly roll the mold off of the sugar, and voila!! your sugar beer bottle!!! put a thin dusting of corn starch of it to knock down the stickiness, and place it on nonstick aluminum foil...store in cool dry place.

as i said, i am just jotting down my thoughts, and i apologize if they seem to ramble....i'm pregnant and extremely sick to my stomach right now, so i can't seem to think straight!

hopefully someone can send you that much better worded tutorial, but unti lthen, feel free to pm with questions!

star

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 4

AWWWW... Star, I hope that the feeling goes away soon. I chewed a lot of gum to help with mine. but it's all for a good cause, right!

Thanks so much for the tutorial!!!! I'm super excited to try this!!!!

Price, thank you too!!! That was the one that I thought I had, but I guess I didn't bookmark it properly!!!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%