Help Making Wasc Without Dairy!!!

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 12 May 2009 , 4:45pm by mellee

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone made WASC using non-dairy products? I think BC makes a yellow cake mix without any dairy, but what can I use to substitute the sour cream??? Soy yogurt? Where would I buy that. Thanks.

17 replies
chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 18

I only bake non-dairy (for kosher reasons) I see that you are from New York - if you tell me what part, I can direct you to a number of kosher stores that sell non-dairy sour cream. You might even find it in a health food store. I replace butter, milk, sour cream and buttermilk, etc. with my own substitutions with excellent results. Hope this helps.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 18

I need to make a non-dairy cake for allergy-reasons. Can you share recipes for a basic cake and frosting that would be safe? I prefer to do doctored mixes so does anyone know which are safe? Is it even possible to make a cake for a kid who can't have dairy?

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 18

Msulli10, Tofutti makes a nondairy sour cream. Here: http://www.tofutti.com/ss.shtml You can probably get it at a decent-sized health store. Clovely, you can try indydebi's frosting recipe and use a rice milk or something like that instead of regular milk. Do the same substitution with any cake recipe you have too.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 18

I actually was out of sour cream the other day and used mayonaise. It was really good!

msulli10 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 18

chanielisalevy, I live on Long Island.... do you use a box mix to start as long as it doesn't have any dairy in it?

patticakesnc - the mayonaise thing sounds interesting. DId you substitute the same amount?

mellee - thanks for the link.

jocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jocakes Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 18

Cherrybrook farms make a non dairy cake and frosting mix. You can use marg instead of butter for the frosting. I find it in the organic section of my local supermarket (stop and shop) also seen it in A&P and whole foods. I'm in NJ.

msulli10 Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #8 of 18

Thanks everyone!

chanielisalevy Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:37am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

chanielisalevy, I live on Long Island.... do you use a box mix to start as long as it doesn't have any dairy in it?

patticakesnc - the mayonaise thing sounds interesting. DId you substitute the same amount?

mellee - thanks for the link.

I grew up on Long Island! Parents still live there...a box mix would be fine except most are dairy. Depedning on what part of LI you're on, Nassau county has the closest kosher food market with available items to help you. I didn't think of ordering on line, that's a possibility. Tofittu brand items are very good also. The mayo idea is one I never thought of. Clever! Following are the subsitutions I commonly use to make a cake non-dairy.

Milk - soy milk or rice milk or sometimes water
butter - margarine or criso, depending on recipe
buttermilk - soy or rice milk with 1 tbsp per cup replaces with lemon juice or vinegar then allowed to rest 5 minutes.

Remember no butter to grease pans, etc. Duncan Hines used to have a chocolate frosting that was non dairy (called pareve by the losher consumer) I don't know if they still make it (I make my own frostings) Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:44am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

.... I think BC makes a yellow cake mix without any dairy, .....

My son is lactose intolerant.....the only cake mix that I have found that does NOT contain milk is Duncan Hines.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 18

Chanie

Sorry to hijack this thread but I need some advice about kosher cake decorating and there arent that many other kosher cake decorators on here.

Have you tried making SMBC or IMBC with margarine and not butter? I mostly use migdal margarine for baking but havent had much luck making non-dairy versus of icing etc.

Also have u ever use the frozen non-dairy cream like from richs in the small yellow containers in place or regular cream?

PS As someone above said most cake mixes are dairy so if you are making non-dairy because of allergies you are better off making a scratch cake.

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 18

I bake dairy free most of the time (always when we will be attending the event) as my son is allergic to dairy. Most flavors of DH are safe. Also if you are looking to purchase icing, Pillsbury has a couple that are dairy free as well (the cream cheese is the only one i can think of off the top of my head). If you are making icing (or anything else) with margarine, make sure you read the ingredients carefully. Just because it is margarine doesn't mean it doesn't have dairy. Most margarines still contain dairy. A couple that don't are Flieshmanns Unsalted Sticks and Earth Balance. The icing that my bakery sells is diary free (the Butt-R-Creme) and also the Sams brand of buttercream is dairy free too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

Also have u ever use the frozen non-dairy cream like from richs in the small yellow containers in place or regular cream?

Non-diary isn't the same as diary free. I haven't checked all of Rich's products, but the Non-Dairy Whipped Topping does contain dairy. What they mean by non-dairy is no lactose, however it does contain dairy protein.

Kris

ahuvas Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #13 of 18

The Richs Cream that I am talking about is definitely 100% dairy free. Its a soy based alternative to whipping cream.

That being said when Chanie and I talk about dairy containing cake mixes and when you do they may be different things. We rely on the kosher symbols on the side of the box which means a lot of things than just right out containing dairy ingredients. Sometimes its because the equipment in which the non-dairy cake mixes are made are also used for dairy containing mixes and are not thoroughly cleaned in between.

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

The Richs Cream that I am talking about is definitely 100% dairy free. Its a soy based alternative to whipping cream.

That being said when Chanie and I talk about dairy containing cake mixes and when you do they may be different things. We rely on the kosher symbols on the side of the box which means a lot of things than just right out containing dairy ingredients. Sometimes its because the equipment in which the non-dairy cake mixes are made are also used for dairy containing mixes and are not thoroughly cleaned in between.

It is great that you only rely on Kosher. I wasn't disputing any information you were giving. I was only pointing out that sometimes non-dairy and dairy-free are not the same thing, as in the example i gave. There are many that will read this thread and I wanted to make sure they know what is what so they don't think something is dairy free when it is not. If they are baking a cake for a birthday party and an allergic child eats the cake it can have serious consequences. The baker needs to have all the information in order to pass it along to the parents.

It is great that the Rich's product you spoke about is in fact dairy free. I will have to look for it at my market. We have been dairy free for years and I sometimes miss whipping cream.

chanielisalevy Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 18

[quote="mom2owen1"]If you are making icing (or anything else) with margarine, make sure you read the ingredients carefully. Just because it is margarine doesn't mean it doesn't have dairy. Most margarines still contain dairy. [quote="ahuvas"]

A rule of thumb to bear in mind for baking truly dairy free is to look for the OU Pareve symbol (O with a U inside signifies one of the national kosher symbols) and pareve means that it has a neutral status of neither dairy or meat. If it says DE that means it is parve but made on dairy equipment but has no dairy ingredients. You can purchase these items in most national chain stores. Hope this helps.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #16 of 18

I have used soy sour dream, a non dairy sub. I found it in the whole foods or organic foods section of the grocery. I have not seen it at a WalMart but I have picked it up at Festival Foods and Piggly Wiggly. There is also a soy 'cream cheese' it doesn't taste as good as regular but it worked well in cooking. My baby girl was born lactose intolerent, since I nursed her I had to go no dairy, none, nada not even a hint, the smallest trace would set her off. I hope this helps!

ahuvas Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #17 of 18

I just took a quick phoo of the Rich's cream container that I had in the freezer.
LL

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 18

Ahuvas, can you please tell me where you bought that? Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%