Cream Cheese Frosting Question

Decorating By lat1nacurv3s Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:56am by angelicconfections

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

Hello all, I'm a newbie to the baking world. Trying my hand at doctored up cupcakes. I have a recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting but it seems a little runny. Is that the way it should be?

Here's the ingredients and directions I followed:
1 package (8oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
4 TB (1/2 stick) butter
3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined (30 sec), cream cheese and butter. Add the confectioners' sugar, a little at a time until sugar is well incorporated (1 min). Add the vanilla, then increase the mixer speed to medium and blend the frosting until fluffy. 1 minute more.

The only thing I can think of that I may not have done is mix it until "fluffy". I mean, I think I did but maybe what I think is "fluffy" isn't fluffy enough. I waited 15 minutes before topping the cupcakes. They were just a tad bit warm. And the frosting just seemed to go blah on top, not pretty at all. But I must admit they still tasted oh soOoO good! lol

HOWEVER, I want them to look just as good as they taste. I'm hoping to break into the cuppie biz! Thanks to anyone's feedback. I would greatly appreciate it.

icon_biggrin.gif ZANDI

5 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:42am
post #2 of 6

Having waged my own cream cheese frosting war for the better part of Saturday, it sounds like several things happened.

1. Maybe you needed more powdered sugar. Depending on the heat and humidity, you may have to add a bunch of sugar to stiffen it up enough to do a crisp piped design.

2. The cupcakes/cake has to be completely cooled. Any warmth at all will cause your frosting to being to melt and go flat.

3. "Fluffy" usually means lots of air pumped into the frosting. Air bubbles are your enemies and should be avoided at all costs. Check out Sugarshack's DVD's or Seriouscakes on Youtube. They both have great videos and tips for making air free frosting.

Hope that will help. Keep working at it, and you will develop a feel for it. Good luck in the new endeavor.

Pam

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:02am
post #3 of 6

Yes the war of cream cheese frosting!!!! Someone had posted a recipe for cream cheese frosting that I use except I have to add way more powdered sugar. When I find the link I will post it.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:05am
post #4 of 6

Here it is I believe that you might have to go through a few pages but hers is good, but definitely let your cupcakes cool all the way

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628450-.html

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 6

Awesome advice! Thank you both very much for your input. I guess I got a little excited, it was late, and I just wanted to eat me some cupcakes!! lol

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 6

I have done several cream cheese frosting wedding cakes, it seems to be a favorite but...it is a pain. I finally worked out one that is fairly reliable up to about 80 degrees F. I mix 1 pkg of softened cream cheese with 1 cup crisco and 1 bag of powdered sugar. I add milk one tsp at a time until it is the right consistancy. I know that sound vauge but it really depends on the ambiant temp and humidity. I live in WI and even though this is northern country with frigid winters summer days here are frequently above 90 with high humidity. One thing I found about using cream cheese frosting with cupcakes, I just did today, is I noticed it heats up more in my hand inside the bag. I have also used, for wedding cakes 1/2 full cream cheese that is 2 packages of cream cheese instead of 1 and 1c crisco, and 1/2 wilton ready to use white bc. It smooths out better on tier cakes and to make it a bit sturdier in warm weather I add a couple TBL of merguine powder. I hope this wasn't info overload, I have ripped my hair out many times over cream cheese, but I have to admit it does taste good. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%