Will That Work With Fbct?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 10 May 2009 , 6:11am by Steady2Hands

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

I read the tutorial of FBCT and understand the procedure. But I saw some cakes with it, and would like my image NOT to sticking out from the frosting base. Would that work if I left unfrosted space on cake, put the FBCT on it and smooth it later with paper towel? Will I destroy the image this way? I am not confortable to do the FBCT of all the top of the cake.
Thank you for your help.

5 replies
Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

After having done many many FBCT's I personally would not do that.

But there is a solution. I also didn't care for them sticking up from the cake and having to put a border around them so I decided to figure out a way around it. Here's what I came up with:

After you do the FBCT, rather than covering just the back of the image with the background color, pipe enough icing over an area large enough to cover the size of the cake top. I usually do that part with the large "icer" tip. Then after you freeze the FBCT, when you put it on the cake, the whole top will be finished.

Here's an added tip: I design the whole cake top on my computer (image and wording). My writing is not that great and so by making it part of my image, I can trace it with the icing and pipe the background color around it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:57am
post #3 of 6

Yes, you can, but you have to be REALLY careful. I did this one: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1290361 and I LUV this look! I would definitely make it at least 2 days ahead of time and leave it in the freezer that long. Be REALLY careful.

But I tried it with the Sonic Hedgehog and I had to make 3 of them becuase it wasn't coming off of the paper right (thank GAWD i started a few days early!).

I ended up putting a white "backing" on it, but when I put it on the cake, I took my spatula and smoothed the edges out, blending it into the cake. You can see the edges, but I think it shows the 'blending' effect: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1359544

I did a better job of blending on this one: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1269686 .... you can still see the rectangle of the backing, but I think it's blended really well.

Steady2Hands Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I am not confortable to do the FBCT of all the top of the cake.

Ooops. After I submitted my reply I reread your post and caught onto what you said. But, once you try doing the whole top as an FBCT I think you'll really like it. It's easy, fast, and less chance of breakage. thumbs_up.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #5 of 6

Steady2Hands:
got it - after I trace my design and the writing, then I will cover the all thing with the color of the cake. Can I smoth it later with paper towel? Will I not destroy the image? Thank you, I am a bit scared.. I will start a day early.

Steady2Hands Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:11am
post #6 of 6

Yep - that's it. I just uploaded a picture of a Thomas the Tank Engine cake I did this morning. I also uploaded the template I made on the computer to show how I design it.

As far as smoothing it with a paper towel, yes. I do that too. As soon as I flip the icing onto the cake I put a Viva paper towel on the icing and start smoothing it. It takes about a minute or so for the icing to warm up from my hand but just as soon as it does, the holes and lines in the icing begin smoothing out.

Yes, it can be done without destroying the image. I've done it many, many times without any mess-ups. There have been very few times that I have messed up a small part of a design. Like on the Thomas cake I did today; the square on the bumper isn't square like it should be. But that does happen on a rare occasion.

FBCT's are basically like coloring a picture with icing rather than crayons. You'll get the hang of it in no time thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%