My Own Challenge

Decorating By all4cake Updated 12 May 2009 , 9:27pm by chassidyg

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #61 of 76

OMG - that is FANTASTIC - I so hope she loved it as much as we do...Great Job and thanks so much for sharing

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #62 of 76

wow! great job!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

She hasn't seen it yet. My sister won't see it until later today. I think it turned out well and know it could've been better had I been able to do the doodads earlier in the week and focus on the cake portion of it.

What a great cake~! This was an awesome thread; thanks for sharing it with us.. loved it, and I am sure your sister will too... icon_biggrin.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #64 of 76

Amazing cake!!! You're ready for the Food Network!!!! Thanks for letting us all watch the progress!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #65 of 76

You have your photo comments turned off! Booooooo thumbsdown.gif. (Just kidding, I know lots of people have reasons for that! That was my way of saying I wuv your cakes and want to lavish some praise on them! LOL). Anyway, this cake is marvelous, and I enjoyed watching the progression. My eyes are popping out that you could crank out such a fun and detailed cake SO FAST!! icon_eek.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #66 of 76

Nice job...lovely details! I am sure she will appreciate your efforts!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #67 of 76

Nice job...lovely details! I am sure she will appreciate your efforts!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #68 of 76

AMAZING!!! What an interesting thread - and to watch the progress and get updates was superduper! Anyone else want to volunteer to do a similar challenge this weekend? icon_lol.gif

Thanks for sharing - this was indeed a fun idea and I'd love to see the personal challenge idea become a 'regular' on the forum! Imagine how much we could learn from so many great guys and gals just by sharing photos and progression of our projects!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #69 of 76

I think it would be alot of fun to do a personal challenge. I keep thinking that it would be fun to do something like that at church - but no one else decorates cakes! So doing it here would be SO much fun!!

I wish that I could get results half as good as All4cakes!

Melissa

emilyhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyhorton Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #70 of 76

I'm so impressed. For a newbie like me (just starting Wilton course 3), watching something like this was really inspirational. Your cake was beautiful and I love that you completed it in such a short period of time!

In contrast, today I did a practice cake. I saw a pretty one on Edna's site: a round white cake with white and pink shells/dots around the top and bottom edges. Seemed so simple! But my cake turned out lopsided and the icing had kind of crusted by the time I piped the edges, and my shells didn't look uniform... ETC. So I can see how addicting this is. When I look at my cake, all I want to do is try again! I'm going to keep working until I can make a cake look half as good as the one you made in two days!!

Emily icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #71 of 76

We're back home now. The whole thing was too cool!

Friday evening, my mother contacts me and asks if we could go down to see a cousin we haven't seen in years who was going to be in town. Initially, because DH wasn't sure whether he had to work or not, I told her we wouldn't be able to go ( I immediately thought of my sister's bd which is actually tomorrow...and hunted for an idea for a cake and found the one on the first page of this thread. no harm hunting until I could ask DH the next morning,right?). I ask...he wouldn't know until he got off Saturday(things are nuts where he works right now). He comes home and tells me he requested Sun and Mon off and that we COULD go. Saturday afternoon, I call and tell her that we were going to be able to go afterall and asked if anyone had ordered my sister a cake. The visit was to see my cousin. Everyone was focused on seeing 'cuz'.
We got to Mama's house and my sister was there! OMG! She's NEVER EVER EVER THERE! I thought immediately that Mama done spilled the beans! I take in a 1/2 of a cake...I wanted to share it with someone....my sister's eyes lit up...they all love sweets as much as I do. She has no clue! Finally, she leaves(the cake was left in my vehicle). This morning, I take it to the restaurant and hide it before she got there. Her DH help me hide it.
Later, everyone meets at her restaurant to meet and greet with 'cuz'...the meal is about done and she's asking everyone what they wanted for dessert. I excuse myself and make my way to the kitchen to ask her DH to get her away from there(the freakin' hiding place was in a room adjacent to the tables we were at). He told me to tell her that he needed to see her in the walk-in that something was the matter. So, I did. She stepped away. We rushed...her host and I...to get the cake...he rushed into the room, bypassing the cake, to get the cake(he had not seen it...I think he was thinking sheet or round or NORMAL)..."where is it?" "uh, dude...it's right there!" He points up to a high shelf and says, "Is that it?" "Nooooooooooooooo....it's right there...on the table..." He looked down, "THAT'S A CAKE?????" (I admit, that reaction was too cool to have gotten). We set it on the table in front of her chair. As she's returning to the table, she gets an odd look on her face (like a truly polite southern woman would get when she's trying to nicely gesture WTF????) "Oh, are you serious? ****, did you see this?" No tears were shed (almost got one when HB was sang to her). She took it around to the various areas of the restaurant. She returned it to the table...2 minutes later, she had a butcher knife in her hand and made me sooooooooooooo proud of her...she, almost violently, severs it in half(HA! but the board between the tiers stopped her!)...quickly though, and without much thought, she perfectly slices this cake...like she'd been practicing for this moment! We each got a slice then it was time for us to head back home. I think she liked it...

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #72 of 76

I just tried to edit the photo to include the source of inspiration for this cake and I got an error message stating I must activate comments in order to participate in contests...hmmmmmmm

anyone else attempt to add anything to their photo description recently after submitting one and get this error message?

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #73 of 76

Just wanted to say, "great job"! Such a cool cake and a fun story to follow...thanks for sharing!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #74 of 76

Congrats on a job done FABULOUSLY!! And what a great story! Don't you just love it when people say 'that's a cake!?'. There is no better compliment.

Thanks again for sharing.

Melissa

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #75 of 76

You did a fantastic job! I think it looks better than the original one.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #76 of 76

Wow! So glad she loved it!!! And wasnt afraid to cut it! Love the responce from the host also!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%