Will Sugar Sculpture Melt?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 21

I have a good size sugar sculpture that will be in an art gallery all summer and wonder if it's going to melt/warp, etc due to the heat. Can that even happen??? There's not much weight or mass to it, but it's not small either... if that info helps.
Any information would be appreciated.
I drop it off tomorrow.

Thank you.

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 21

How will it be displayed? If it's in an air tight container it could survive if it was made of isomalt. Sugar looses it's sheen and it does weaken.

We have had almighty humidity here and mmy isomalt creation is doing well. My previous sugar creation did not last in non-humid conditions.

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 21

No, it's sugarpaste. Since this piece is technically "edible" and Isomalt isn't something I'd ingest, I won't use it. Isomalt kind of scares me. I should probably "get with the program", but I'm stubborn that way.

It won't be airtight, but out in the open. They wanted to put it behind glass but I said "no". The smell is part of the experience.
In Maine we get a lot of humidity too, but not as bad as some places.
This should be interesting... icon_confused.gif

Do you have a pic of the piece your referring to Kate?

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 21

Oh oh oh--I heard sugar sculpture and just thought of just sugar. I've been playing around with it lately. I sure hope it lasts for you.

Sugar paste? Pastillage or fondant or gum paste?

Isomalt rocks! I mean I sure am not gonna eat it but boy is it fun. I just got a tiny bit from a friend and used it to make a coccoon for a crazy cake I made.

It's just an experiment--nothing for a customer.

The wings are edible and they were attached to a mechanism so they flapped. Kinda crazy. Like the angel/fairy was just emerging/ being born.

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 21

The wings (in a perfect world) were supposed to shatter the carefully made coccoon but I didn't feel like carefully redoing it icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 21

That came out really well. The wings are amazing. What is pastillage exactly? It's in my Debbie Brown book but I've been too lazy to make it...

This time around I used straight fondant. I'm hoping it doesn't shatter in the car. This same gallery accidentally damaged one of my life size figures last year, so I'm delivering and setting it up myself. (As I've learned the hard way, always opt for the insurance... dunce.gif)

(Edited multiple times because I type way too fast... icon_redface.gif )

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 21

isolmalt is edible. I just picked up a bag of sugarfree hard candies and isolmalt is the first ingredient listed.

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 21

The thing is that if I won't eat it, I won't use it. (keep in mind I don't eat straws or dowels either, but if it's edible, it has to be something I'll eat myself.) Isomalt is edible, but I'm not eating it. icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #9 of 21

Ok, I'll bite K2......... why won't you eat it? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #10 of 21

I (try to) use mostly organic, mostly unrefined ingredients. (non-hydrogenated, etc.) I have seen it do amazing things on the FN.

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 21

I don't eat it because I don't eat sugar anymore either--thyroid issue--super slow metabolism--but I do eat sugar free candy--very carefully. icon_biggrin.gif

K2--but if you use sugar you are far outside your perimeter. Sugar is just more accepted but it is a highly refined and harmful ingredient. Organic sugar is just a tad less refined. I don't know anyway to justify what I do for a living/hobby. Except to say it's 'celebration food,' meant to be eaten once in a while.

Have a little isomalt, CakeBuddy--if the sugar hasn't killed yah yet, the isomalt, a tiny bit won't either.

CakesByLJ Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 21

There must be something I am missing about isomalt then.... it is sugarfree; so what is the issue with it?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 21

Isomalt is a sugar alcohol derived from beet sugar. It can cause stomach upsets and diarrhea if consumed in large amounts icon_eek.gif . Check out
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-isomalt.htm

CakesByLJ Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

Isomalt is a sugar alcohol derived from beet sugar. It can cause stomach upsets and diarrhea if consumed in large amounts icon_eek.gif . Check out
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-isomalt.htm

Thanks ibmoser... I was thinking it was something more serious than an "over-consumption" issue... icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I don't eat it because I don't eat sugar anymore either--thyroid issue--super slow metabolism--but I do eat sugar free candy--very carefully. icon_biggrin.gif

K2--but if you use sugar you are far outside your perimeter. Sugar is just more accepted but it is a highly refined and harmful ingredient. Organic sugar is just a tad less refined. I don't know anyway to justify what I do for a living/hobby. Except to say it's 'celebration food,' meant to be eaten once in a while.

Have a little isomalt, CakeBuddy--if the sugar hasn't killed yah yet, the isomalt, a tiny bit won't either.

I don't eat "much" sugar personally and I do use organic (carbon free, sun-sweetened cane juice) vegan sugar, but it is still somewhat processed, that's true... I'd rather not use it at all but agave necter is just too expensive for me right now. I'm still not brave enough to try eating Isomalt because I read somewhere that it's like eating "sweet & low", or whatever... eventhough it's "natural". I feel like I did enough damage to my body in the '90's.... icon_rolleyes.gif but maybe I'm just paranoid.

How do you use it in fondant, etc? I've only seen it used as poured sugar/blown, etc.

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Quote:

I don't eat "much" sugar personally and I do use organic (carbon free, sun-sweetened cane juice) vegan sugar, but it is still somewhat processed, that's true... I'd rather not use it at all but agave necter is just too expensive for me right now. I'm still not brave enough to try eating Isomalt because I read somewhere that it's like eating "sweet & low", or whatever... eventhough it's "natural". I feel like I did enough damage to my body in the '90's.... icon_rolleyes.gif but maybe I'm just paranoid.

How do you use it in fondant, etc? I've only seen it used as poured sugar/blown, etc.

No no no no no--I'm back in the boiled sugar mind set--you don't
use isomalt in fondant. I just meant--oh go ahead and experiment with it--it's so much fun--that's all I meant.

Agave is expensive but I/we do use it in our coffee. It is fabulous. I do use one splenda then a small squirt of agave 'cause that's all I need--it tastes perfect.

My body hates doing that sugar rush thing so I avoid that like the plague nowadays--but it's a constant mental challenge. But I just have to remember how icky I feel afterwards and it puts out the fire.

So what does your piece for the museum look like? Got any pictures??? How'd you get tapped to do that?? And congratulations on it too.

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

So what does your piece for the museum look like? Got any pictures??? How'd you get tapped to do that?? And congratulations on it too.

Thanks. I'm actually an exhibiting sculptor (ME & NY mostly). I am a cake decorator/baker second... This one's a local gallery. I'd have to email or PM the photo because my work is edgy, often offends and is used as a catalyst to open a dialogue to get people thinking and evoking social change. (Sorry, that's the easiest way to describe it...) I've never used sugar this way before, but it made sense so I went with it...

What else have you made with Isomalt? I use organic brown sugar in my coffee...gives me the illusion it's "good for me". icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #18 of 21

That's my first and only isomalt adventure--but the difference from sugar was wonderful. I have 27 pounds of it en route to my house as I type~arrive maybe Monday probably Tuesday. Out of boiled sugar I made a fish with blown sugar and made some sugar balls and I've made a face & head. I'm just dabbling though.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:11pm
post #19 of 21

I have done clay sculpting for a number of years and just recently began working in sugar, K2cakes. My sculptures are also unconventional and not what everyone would like to see...we don't need to go there.

I live in Oklahoma and we have had a lot of moisture the past month. I looked at some of my display fondant/sugar paste pieces and they have gotten very moist and one of the pieces had their head in their lap. I'm not sure where you live, but if you have humidity issues during the summer, you're probably going to have melting issues along with it. How big is the piece you are going to have on exhibit? Is it possible to dry it thoroughly in a dehydrator or is it too large? I noticed pieces I did last year didn't suffer as much as the most recent ones.

Bettina

kellertur Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #20 of 21

27 pounds? icon_eek.gif That's one sweet tooth... just kidding. icon_biggrin.gif

Ahhh, blown sugar... something I am desperately wanting to try. I should venture into that forum. Do you need TONS of equipment, or can you use what's on hand (hair dryer, etc...)?

This piece is only about 14" x 16", much larger than my cake stuff though.

kellertur Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #21 of 21

Just to follow up on this thread~ my sculpture has been in the gallery for over a month (one month to go) with no problems. We've had lots of rain and lots of humidity... so far so good.

The only weird thing that's happened, was at the opening. One guy tried to "lick" my sculpture (I'm not kidding), which was kind of creepy but it made me laugh.

Have a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%