Pastry School Or Classes??? I Need Advice!

Decorating By farfalla6ella Updated 9 May 2009 , 5:52pm by PinkZiab

farfalla6ella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farfalla6ella Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 3

I really think I've found my passion for life and that's decorating cakes! I would like to open my own business, but I'm really torn about school. I'm considering going to the French Culinary Institute in NY but its almost 40k for the program. They also have the option of taking classes in basic fondant and royal icing, gumpaste flowers ect... which are a lot more inexpensive. Does anyone have any recommendations? Did anyone take classes and benefit from them? I really need some advice!
Thanks in advance!

2 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 3

I have a cake business out of my home and I never went to school. I just learned how from here and from Wilton's classes they offer at the craft store. It's a much cheaper option and it gives you the basics to start you on the right path.
You can also join Ices which is a cake decorating club. They offer classes at their meetings which are every few months. The classes are usually very helpful and fun. They are a little expensive but certainly cheaper than school. www.ices.com
If you are planning to have a bakery though and want to do more than cake then school would be a good option.
HTH!
Jen...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 3

I went to the FCI, and if you truly want to be a cake designer and not a full-blown pastry chef, then I suggest taking specialized cake decorating courses and/or getting yourself a cake decorating internship, and not the pastry program at FCI. Cake decorating was a VERY VERY SMALL part of the curriculum... feel free to PM me if you want more detail or have specific questions about the program.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%