Thinking About A Home-Based Business...where Do I Start???

Business By lvspaisley Updated 9 May 2009 , 3:47pm by Win

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I am really not an expert cake decorator. I mostly like to do just cupcakes with swirls. I am not very creative as far as ideas are concerned. I can look at a picture of a cake and pretty much copy it, but I am not too creative coming up with designs. I also have lupus, so my hands are very arthritic..therefore, cupcakes are just much easier for me.

I have not charged for any cakes/cupcakes yet. But my friend, who is decorator, said I should get paid for what I love to do. I've seemed to become more in demand...many friends of friends are asking me to do cupcakes for them.

I don't know where to start. I don't know if my county even ALLOWS a home based business. I do have pets, but I turn on the Rainbow vacuum on high air cleaner and I clean the kitchen before making anything, as well as putting them up in our bedroom with the door shut. I'd be horrified if anyone found pet hair in my icing!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me where I start finding out if I can even have one and how it works?? Can I write off part of my mortgage with a home based business?

Thanks for your input. I'm just completely lost.

Kristi

2 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 3

Call your county and health department and see if you are even allowed to do it from home and what the rules and regulations are.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 3

Sometimes you can find out by a search on the internet. Type in your state and "cottage industry laws" you might get lucky that way --my state has it outlined in the Agriculture division under Home based businesses. You might find the info you need in this forum:
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html[/url]

Good Luck with your endeavor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%