Frozen Cupcakes

Decorating By gimmeabreak Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:57pm by Cathy26

gimmeabreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmeabreak Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 5

I have a huge order for cupcakes that I need to make for next weekend. I wanted to start baking them this weekend. Can you freeze the cupcakes in the paper cups? I know this is a really dumb question but I never have frozen cake before. What about freezing them with the frosting?

4 replies
Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there,
In answer to your question, I freeze cupcakes successfully all the time and have never had a problem with them when it was time to put the icing on .
The only observation I can make is after they have been frozen, the top "lifts" sometimes when you're icing them. Just don't lift your spatula up from the cupcake once you've started the frosting and with practice that will get better. Ideally I would like 'fresh' cupcakes for every order, but when there' an order for 400 cupcakes that idea becomes "unpossible' icon_smile.gif and 'fresh frozen' it is. Hope this helps.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 5

Forgot to tell you that I wouldn't freeze the cupcakes with frosting on them. My experience with that, is that after they 'thaw' the icing that's been frozen can lift off and when someone takes a bite, the whole peice of icing will come away from the cupcake. Same is true with cookies and squares that have been frozen with the icing on.

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 5

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I wanted to ask, how do you freeze a cupcake? Do you wrap it in saran wrap, foil?? Wondering how to keep them from being freezer burned because I've wanted to freeze cupcakes before and just don't know how to do it.

Thanks

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

i put in them a tupperware box with tin foil and cling film inside and then cover that over with the foil and cling film and put the lid on - if you dont have enough boxes, just set a few at a time on a cake board cover them loosely with cling film and then add a few more layers and finally wrap in tin foil - i do this all the time and they last for ages and they are actually nicer in texture and taste than fresh - weird I know, but good!! they have a softer and more moist texture, which is great as you can frost them still frozen so you can leave them to the last minute so they last longer for the customer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%