Buttercream Messsss Up A.m. Emergency Question

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 9 May 2009 , 5:12am by msnrozier

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #1 of 10

I was trying to make a big batch of BC but I must have use to much of something!!!!!!

my buttercream is very runny, and I have already put enuff sugar, is there anyway to fix it or trash it!?

thx

9 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:42am
post #2 of 10

I would say put more sugar and see if it tastes ok.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 10

Add more powdered sugar and stick it in the fridge for a while.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #4 of 10

Well, it would help to know what recipe you were trying to make. And how much of each ingredient you actually did use - and then, how much you added to correct the problem.

Usually adding more powdered sugar helps.....

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

msnrozier Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 10

thanks, I will try that, but it's like syrup, so I may have to start over! icon_sad.gif

msnrozier Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #6 of 10

I do have a test cake from extra batter, also all the cakes are going under fondant, so I am icing the test cake and will let it sit till later to see if it dripped down the sides

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:54am
post #7 of 10

If you add very much powdered sugar, you would need to add more shortening also or it will get too heavy. If you have a lot made you might try dividing it in half and working with only half of it. I would measure out how much powdered sugar I add and add the same ratio of shortening. You would almost be starting over, you just wouldn't add any liquid.

msnrozier Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #8 of 10

I just added more sugar and it is sooooo sweet! I may just put a very light coat since MM fondant will cover it and vanilla mousse is going in the layers!

How does that sound?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:05am
post #9 of 10

You mentioned you are going to use vanilla mousse. That means, you really won't use the buttercream that much. You're just going to use it as a dam and I would suggest you just use a light crumbcoat under the fondant (that's what I do). I don't think people would taste the super sweetness of buttercream in that case.

msnrozier Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

You mentioned you are going to use vanilla mousse. That means, you really won't use the buttercream that much. You're just going to use it as a dam and I would suggest you just use a light crumbcoat under the fondant (that's what I do). I don't think people would taste the super sweetness of buttercream in that case.

Right that is what I am thinking, a LIGHT crumb coat and fondant!!!

I want to Thank EVERYONE who replied!! I knew I could count on you all! Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%