Homemade Funfetti-No Sinking Sprinkles!

Decorating By BeesKnees578 Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:16pm by GI

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 5

A few months ago, I was looking for a homemade funfetti recipe for a potential client. Every post seemed to have the same problem. . .the sprinkles wouldn't stay suspended in the batter during the baking process. I tried making it with Colette Peters' Heavenly White Cake recipe and I found the same results.

HOWEVER, I made a scratch white butter cake and decided to mix the sprinkles in with the egg whites once they had reached a sparrow's peak. I mixed in about a 1/4 - 1/3 cup (a Tablespoon at a time) and let the mixer mix them in at high speed just for a few secs until they were evenly distributed. I folded the egg whites into the batter and baked it. THEY STAYED where they belonged!!! Yea!

Hope this helps you all!

4 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 5

I actually just made Elmo cupcakes with homemade funfetti cake but I didn't have any problems with the sprinkles. It worked out great and tasted awesome too! I didn't realize others were having trouble, but I'm glad you found a recipe that works!

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 5

when I want to suspend things like confetti or chocolate chips I sub 1 cup of the water in the recipe for 1 cup of sourcream. It does the trick every time.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 5

An age-old trick for keeping things like chocolate chips or fun-fetti particles suspended in a batter is simply to dust them in flour before adding to the batter. I simply throw them in a baggie, add about a half teaspoon for fun fetti and shake. No issues ever.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

This post is very informative. Thank you all for responding!

I like funfetti cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%