Fondant Changing Color Over Buttercream Icing, Help!

Decorating By Cucu1214 Updated 9 May 2009 , 7:17pm by FromScratch

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 6

I did a fondant bow on top of buttercream icing cake, and the bow changed color after a few hours, it was mmf made at home, do I need to add something extra? to make the color stay?

5 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:09am
post #2 of 6

I don't remember where I read it, but somewhere on here (the internet) it states that gumpaste/fondant will lighten as it drys. Add a little more color when you are mixing it, probably just slightly darker then what you actually want it. Hope this helps!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:13am
post #3 of 6

it works the other way too, some colours darken. i think wilton colours have the most problems with fading, and you need to make sure you keep the fondant out of the light as well.
xx

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:13am
post #4 of 6

What color was the bow? Some colors are notorious for fading. Purple is one of the worst offenders. The red in it will fade in the light and you get left with a horrid corpse blue-gray color.

If it's just lighter though this is normal. The moisture evaporates from the surface and the color gets less vivid... like when you put a rock in water... you can see tons of detail and the color is rich, but when you let it dry off the color fades.

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

the bow was purple yes!! and the color did fade a little, so I guess I will try adding a little extra color, also I kept the cake on a closed container, could it be that the moisture left inside made it worst? should I just leave it opened in a dark place?
thanks everyone for your tips!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 6

I suggest getting some high quality powdered food colors. They don't have the same fading issues that the gel colors have. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%