Edible Image Questions

Decorating By allie73 Updated 8 May 2009 , 4:17pm by KathyTW

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 2

I am thinking about using these for the first time, and I have many questions:

First off, can they be used on fondant?

2. I have a Hewlett-Packard printer. Are there ink cartridges that I can use with my current printer? If so, where can I get them?

3. Do places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell the printer sheets that are used with the ink? If not, where can I get them?

4. Can I use any images I want (copied from the Internet, MS Word, etc.) or is there an "edible image" software package that I have to use?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

1 reply
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 2

To answer your questions...

1.Can they be used on fondant? YES

2. I have a Hewlett-Packard printer. Are there ink cartridges that I can use with my current printer? If so, where can I get them?

Not if you've used with regular cartridges - basically a brand new printer is the only way it can be done.

3. Do places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell the printer sheets that are used with the ink? If not, where can I get them?

No....cake supply stores, SAMS club, online stores.

4. Can I use any images I want (copied from the Internet, MS Word, etc.) or is there an "edible image" software package that I have to use?

You can use any image - best not to use copyrighted images (Disney etc) unless you want to risk trouble. You can use any software, there's even free ones out there specifically for edible images.

Best advise......do a search for edible images on Cake Central and you'll find all the info you'll ever need on the subject. In my business I have no where even come close to paying for the printer, ink, ink refills, wafer paper, and frosting sheets. If you're not sure you're going to be using it all the time I'd think twice about spending the $$. If you have a local grocery store or cake store check with them to see if they can print images for you as you need them.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%